Waukesha - Three people were charged for attempting to steal money during a drug deal in August.
A West Bend man and his friend came to Waukesha Aug. 29 to purchase marijuana. The man's friend was a longtime acquaintance of Stephanie R. Weare, 18, of Waukesha, who set up the purchase of three ounces of marijuana for $950, according to the criminal complaint filed Jan. 12 in Waukesha County Circuit Court.
Weare confessed to police she intended to "rip off" the man from the start, the complaint said. Weare directed the man and his friend to an apartment building on Mountain Avenue because she knew the layout and she would be able to "slip out the rear" once she got the money, the complaint said.
However, the man only gave her $175 because the man wanted to see the quality of the marijuana first, the complaint said.
Weare told police she changed her plans and contacted Robert T. Maye, 20, of Waukesha, who was helping her, the complaint said. Maye and Quantae A. Leggett, 20 of Waukesha, had a fake gun and were going to scare the man out of the rest of the money, Weare told police, the complaint said.
Maye had a pellet gun and approached the man and put the gun in the man's face and demanded the money, the complaint said. Quantae told police he went along to watch Maye's back, the complaint said.
The man ran off and his friend called police, the complaint said. The friend led police to Weare, whose boyfriend at the time was Maye, the complaint said.
Weare, Maye and Leggett were each charged with attempted armed robbery. Weare was also charged with possession of drug paraphernalia for possessing two marijuana pipes.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha County Fair's attendance "one of the best" in its history
- The Shoppes at Fox River coming before Waukesha Plan Commission for final approval
- Waukesha South hosting alumni show
- UW-Waukesha presents classy 'Kiss Me, Kate'
- Waukesha Police Report: July 24, 2014 issue
- Waukesha man accused of suffocating ex-girlfriend twice during dispute
- Brewers' Hank the Dog coming to Waukesha
- Forums for District 97 state assembly race coming up
- Scorpion Trike strikes where it counts for Waukesha design firm
- Weather has slowed down field turf project at Waukesha schools