Waukesha - Three people were charged for attempting to steal money during a drug deal in August.
A West Bend man and his friend came to Waukesha Aug. 29 to purchase marijuana. The man's friend was a longtime acquaintance of Stephanie R. Weare, 18, of Waukesha, who set up the purchase of three ounces of marijuana for $950, according to the criminal complaint filed Jan. 12 in Waukesha County Circuit Court.
Weare confessed to police she intended to "rip off" the man from the start, the complaint said. Weare directed the man and his friend to an apartment building on Mountain Avenue because she knew the layout and she would be able to "slip out the rear" once she got the money, the complaint said.
However, the man only gave her $175 because the man wanted to see the quality of the marijuana first, the complaint said.
Weare told police she changed her plans and contacted Robert T. Maye, 20, of Waukesha, who was helping her, the complaint said. Maye and Quantae A. Leggett, 20 of Waukesha, had a fake gun and were going to scare the man out of the rest of the money, Weare told police, the complaint said.
Maye had a pellet gun and approached the man and put the gun in the man's face and demanded the money, the complaint said. Quantae told police he went along to watch Maye's back, the complaint said.
The man ran off and his friend called police, the complaint said. The friend led police to Weare, whose boyfriend at the time was Maye, the complaint said.
Weare, Maye and Leggett were each charged with attempted armed robbery. Weare was also charged with possession of drug paraphernalia for possessing two marijuana pipes.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wings over Waukesha Air Show returns this weekend to Crites Field
- Waukesha man arrested after pointing a gun at another person outside home
- Meijer supercenter receives final approval from Waukesha Common Council
- Waukesha school committee denies parent's request to ban 'The Kite Runner,' 'Chinese Handcuffs'
- Disconnected air hose stops train in its tracks in Waukesha
- Waukesha mom seeks to have two novels banned from schools
- Waukesha man accused of child porn possession
- Waukesha Police Report: Aug. 21, 2014 issue
- Home field turf debut delayed for Waukesha South, Waukesha North
- Downtown Waukesha becomes a wee more Irish with Clarke 'pub'