Waukesha North marching band going for its sixth straight state title
Waukesha West and Waukesha South high schools also in competition in Whitewater
They might not put on a show quite like the Ohio State Marching Band who have become an Internet must-see after its most recent halftime show, but the Waukesha North and Waukesha West marching bands are no slouch on the high school scene in Wisconsin.
The two bands, as well as Waukesha South, will perform this weekend at the 28th annual Wisconsin School Music Association State Marching Band Championships at Perkins Stadium on the UW-Whitewater campus.
The Waukesha South High School Marching Blackshirts, in the AAA division, takes the field first at 12:45 p.m.
The Cadets of Waukesha West High School, in the AAAA large-school division, perform at 6:45 p.m., while the Northstar Band from Waukesha North, in the same division, follows them at 7 p.m.
The Northstar Band is seeking its sixth straight state championship, while West looks to retake its spot as the state’s top marching band.
Before 2007 when North began its current winning streak, West had won seven state titles from 1997 to 2006.
Last year, North finished with 91.40 points and West had 90.55 points.
The schools are judged in many categories that range from percussion, visual and musical performance.
The box office will open at 11 a.m. Saturday.
Tickets are only available on the day of the event at the UW-Whitewater Perkins Stadium Box Office.
Ticket prices are $12 for adults, $6 for children ages 6 to 17, senior citizens and undergrad college students with a valid college ID. Children 5 and under are free.
Although rain is in the forecast all day, the WSMA website states that if there is no lightning the event will continue outdoors as long as the field condition remains safe for students and equipment. If there is lightning, however, a delay of at least 30 minutes will take place.
The show could be moved indoors as well if the weather does not cooperate. The nearby Kachel Fieldhouse would be the largest indoor facility on the UW-Whitewater campus.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Robotics class, concealed carry, job fair and more
- Waukesha Reads program continues: Oct. 8-14 events
- Pewaukee man sentenced for Waukesha library sex incident
- Vietnamese restaurant Pho King opens, pizza eatery Bobanna's closes in Waukesha
- Food drive grows bigger in Waukesha's District 12
- Xperience Fitness and Dollar Tree open in old Waukesha Kmart
- West Allis man charged with video taping women's restroom at UW-Waukesha
- Housing development hopes to stay at home in town of Waukesha
- Waukesha officials try to plug holes tied to GE move
- Waukesha Police Report: Oct. 8, 2015 issue