Sussex man charged in Tuesday's Waukesha shooting
He pointed and shot at Waukesha officers after domestic-related incident
The man who pointed a long gun at Waukesha police and shot at officers was charged today in Waukesha County Court.
Richard A. Petarius, 76, of Sussex was charged with 1st-degree intentional homicide, two counts of 1st-degree recklessly endangering society, burglary-armed with a dangerous weapon, false imprisonment, intimidate victim/damage property, possess firearm-contrary to injunction, possess short-barreled shotgun/rifle, aggravated battery-elderly and violating a domestic abuse injunction.
Petarius’ charges come two days after officers from the Waukesha County Sheriff’s Department, City of Brookfield, Town of Brookfield, Butler, New Berlin, F.B.I and the Wisconsin State Patrol responded to the Wyndwood Condominiums in the 1800 block of Racine Ave. due to a domestic-related incident.
When officers arrived at the residence at 4:18 p.m. they met with a 75-year-old female victim, who had been divorced from Petarius.
While officers were interviewing the woman, Waukesha Police Chief Russell Jack said Petarius appeared and pointed the gun at officers and shot at them. The officers returned fire and disengaged from the residence with the victim.
No officers were shot, but Jack said one officer suffered a minor injury while securing the victim.
The suspect was taken into custody at 5:16 p.m. without incident, Jack said.
Jack added the victim sustained non-life threatening injuries and was treated at Waukesha Memorial Hospital.
The police chief added that there is a history of domestic related incidents.
The couple divorced in 2010, and according to Waukesha County court records, a four-year injunction on the man in 2010 in response to domestic violence complaints.
Among the terms of the injunction was that he surrender his three firearms to a son.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha man arrested after pointing a gun at another person outside home
- Meijer supercenter receives final approval from Waukesha Common Council
- Waukesha school committee denies parent's request to ban 'The Kite Runner,' 'Chinese Handcuffs'
- Disconnected air hose stops train in its tracks in Waukesha
- Waukesha mom seeks to have two novels banned from schools
- Waukesha man accused of child porn possession
- Waukesha Police Report: Aug. 21, 2014 issue
- Home field turf debut delayed for Waukesha South, Waukesha North
- Downtown Waukesha becomes a wee more Irish with Clarke 'pub'
- Waukesha's Scott Allen wants to keep Gov. Scott Walker's message going in assembly