Sussex man charged in Tuesday's Waukesha shooting
He pointed and shot at Waukesha officers after domestic-related incident
The man who pointed a long gun at Waukesha police and shot at officers was charged today in Waukesha County Court.
Richard A. Petarius, 76, of Sussex was charged with 1st-degree intentional homicide, two counts of 1st-degree recklessly endangering society, burglary-armed with a dangerous weapon, false imprisonment, intimidate victim/damage property, possess firearm-contrary to injunction, possess short-barreled shotgun/rifle, aggravated battery-elderly and violating a domestic abuse injunction.
Petarius’ charges come two days after officers from the Waukesha County Sheriff’s Department, City of Brookfield, Town of Brookfield, Butler, New Berlin, F.B.I and the Wisconsin State Patrol responded to the Wyndwood Condominiums in the 1800 block of Racine Ave. due to a domestic-related incident.
When officers arrived at the residence at 4:18 p.m. they met with a 75-year-old female victim, who had been divorced from Petarius.
While officers were interviewing the woman, Waukesha Police Chief Russell Jack said Petarius appeared and pointed the gun at officers and shot at them. The officers returned fire and disengaged from the residence with the victim.
No officers were shot, but Jack said one officer suffered a minor injury while securing the victim.
The suspect was taken into custody at 5:16 p.m. without incident, Jack said.
Jack added the victim sustained non-life threatening injuries and was treated at Waukesha Memorial Hospital.
The police chief added that there is a history of domestic related incidents.
The couple divorced in 2010, and according to Waukesha County court records, a four-year injunction on the man in 2010 in response to domestic violence complaints.
Among the terms of the injunction was that he surrender his three firearms to a son.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Man rescued from Dunkin' Donuts Dumpster after falling in while looking for wife's dentures
- Waukesha man accused of repeatedly assaulting 12-year-old boy
- Disgraced former Waukesha County sheriff's lieutenant gets jail time, probation
- Former sheriff's lieutenant gets jail time, probation
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Art crawl, awards lunch, health clinics and more
- Enter Halloween contest to win tickets to Legends & Lore
- Waukesha man accused of delivering drugs that caused overdose death
- Waukesha Police Report: Oct. 2, 2014 issue
- Waukesha lists curbside pickup and drop-off center times for leaves
- Spooky, isn't it: Halloween season kicks in Waukesha with Wisconsin Feargrounds