Christmas Clearing Council's toy drop-off begins Thursday at Waukesha County sites
The council worked with more than 1,900 families last year
Christmas might be more than seven weeks away, but the Christmas Clearing Council of Waukesha County’s effort to help those in need during the holidays is in full gear.
A few weeks ago, individuals could begin sponsoring a family for the holidays.
With a commitment of $60, families, organizations or companies are matched with a family and receive the child’s wish/need list. They then shop and deliver the gifts to the family by Dec. 12.
In 2011, the CCC coordinated giving to more than 1,900 families and close to 4,500 children in Waukesha County.
Persons wishing to sponsor a family can call (262) 549-NOEL.
Besides helping that way, there are 75 public toy drop-off sites in Waukesha County, 29 of which are in the City of Waukesha. Individuals can begin dropping off items at these sites on Thursday. The toy drop-off goes until Dec. 12.
The CCC asks for infant clothing and blankets, preschool board books, toys for children ages birth to 9, gift items for preteens ages 10 to 12, books, crafts, sporting equipment, hats and waterproof mittens and gift cards for teenagers worth $20.
To qualify for the program, applicants must live in Waukesha County, have placement of their child and their income must meet the qualifications for the federal free and reduced lunch program. Children attending school must also attend a school in Waukesha County.
To apply each year, the applicant should contact their child’s social worker at their school or any other agency with whom they work. The application must be signed and forwarded to CCC by an authorized social service agency. Applications must be in by Nov. 21.
The CCC’s office, P.O. Box 34 in Waukesha, is open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday and beginning Nov. 12 through Dec. 10 from 6 to 8 p.m. on Monday evenings.
For more information on CCC and the drop-off locations in Waukesha, visit christmasclearingcouncil.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha man arrested after pointing a gun at another person outside home
- Meijer supercenter receives final approval from Waukesha Common Council
- Waukesha school committee denies parent's request to ban 'The Kite Runner,' 'Chinese Handcuffs'
- Disconnected air hose stops train in its tracks in Waukesha
- Waukesha mom seeks to have two novels banned from schools
- Waukesha man accused of child porn possession
- Waukesha Police Report: Aug. 21, 2014 issue
- Home field turf debut delayed for Waukesha South, Waukesha North
- Downtown Waukesha becomes a wee more Irish with Clarke 'pub'
- Waukesha's Scott Allen wants to keep Gov. Scott Walker's message going in assembly