Grand Avenue just north of College Avenue was recently re-striped to designate what seems to be an unusual arrangement of lanes.
The picture below shows the southbound lane of North Grand Avenue in front of a recently built Carroll University dorm/retail building. On the left is what appears to be the main traffic lane, then there's a bike lane in the middle, then there's another lane to the right of the bike lane. So is this another traffic lane?
It's not. The lane to the right of the bike lane is a parking lane, not meant for driving.
According to Steve Kraus, a crash investigator with the Waukesha Police Department, this section of Grand Avenue is considered a single lane in each direction. There is parking along each curb, and a five-foot-wide bike lane (set about eight feet from the curb) lies between the driving lane and the parking lane.
The correct way to navigate through this stretch of roadway is to drive closer to the yellow center line, with the bike lane to the motorist's right, Kraus said. Vehicles should not drive over the bike lane unless they signal to enter one of the driveways.
What do you want to know? E-mail your questions to email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha man sentenced to prison for his role in 2014 shooting on Kensington Drive
- Taco John's donates 10 percent of sales to family of Saeed Sharwani
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Grocery tips, eco-friendly workshops and more
- Mom bails out son, drives him to ex-girlfriend's house for confrontation (1)
- Waukesha Police Report: Jan. 29, 2015, issue
- Mia Famiglia bringing Sicilian cooking to downtown Waukesha
- Waukesha apartment plan may get further revisions
- Legal fight over historic Blair House in Waukesha continues
- New City Administrator Kevin Lahner ready to take on Waukesha's challenges
- Gas stations in Waukesha look at safety measures in wake of violent crime