David Towers resigns as Waukesha West High School principal
Cites personal reasons behind departure
Citing "personal reasons," David Towers, principal of Waukesha West High School, resigned Friday.
Waukesha School District Superintendent Todd Gray informed parents of Towers’ sudden departure by letter.
“We regret that we do not have any other information to share with you at this time,” Gray said.
Towers was hired before the 2011-12 school year after serving as an assistant principal and associate principal at Germantown High School for five years.
He replaced Melissa Thompson, who left West to become the Swallow School District superintendent in Merton.
Gray said the district is working to ensure appropriate coverage for the remainder of the year and will begin planning the recruitment and selection process for a permanent replacement.
He added that Sara Behrendt, the district’s director of curriculum for secondary education, will work closely with West administrative staff during the transition period.
Towers’ profile was taken off West’s website on Monday and the site lists Behrendt as principal.
When Towers was hired in August 2011, he said he was very selective in applying for positions and said “West was the perfect fit.”
With a background in teaching and athletics early in his career, he looked to enhance West’s strong academic and athletic reputation.
He also made some changes to the school during his tenure by implementing random breath tests at school dances.
And at the start of this school year, he banned backpacks and purses for students between classes. It brought some initial backlash, but Towers said it was for safety concerns.
The school also had to replace Assistant Principal/Athletic Director Todd Hencsik at the end of 2011-12 school year. He left West after four years to become a principal at a northern Illinois high school.
He was replaced by Kyle Lemieux.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Proposed Waukesha County Museum redevelopment plan coming before city panel
- 'Suspicious' fire damages Waukesha home overnight
- Attorney requests Slender Man stabbing suspect Morgan Geyser be moved to treatment facility
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Pet adoption drive, mob boss speaker and more
- Wife granted restraining order against former Waukesha County detective (1)
- Vehicle fire in Waukesha apartment building's underground parking garage creates 'an explosion'
- Former town of Waukesha chairwoman, resident file ethics complaint against chairman (2)
- Waukesha robotics team stays in top gear in regional competition en route to international event
- Waukesha Police Report: April 16, 2015 issue
- Oconomowoc man accused of getting high in store bathroom enters plea