David Towers resigns as Waukesha West High School principal
Cites personal reasons behind departure
Citing "personal reasons," David Towers, principal of Waukesha West High School, resigned Friday.
Waukesha School District Superintendent Todd Gray informed parents of Towers’ sudden departure by letter.
“We regret that we do not have any other information to share with you at this time,” Gray said.
Towers was hired before the 2011-12 school year after serving as an assistant principal and associate principal at Germantown High School for five years.
He replaced Melissa Thompson, who left West to become the Swallow School District superintendent in Merton.
Gray said the district is working to ensure appropriate coverage for the remainder of the year and will begin planning the recruitment and selection process for a permanent replacement.
He added that Sara Behrendt, the district’s director of curriculum for secondary education, will work closely with West administrative staff during the transition period.
Towers’ profile was taken off West’s website on Monday and the site lists Behrendt as principal.
When Towers was hired in August 2011, he said he was very selective in applying for positions and said “West was the perfect fit.”
With a background in teaching and athletics early in his career, he looked to enhance West’s strong academic and athletic reputation.
He also made some changes to the school during his tenure by implementing random breath tests at school dances.
And at the start of this school year, he banned backpacks and purses for students between classes. It brought some initial backlash, but Towers said it was for safety concerns.
The school also had to replace Assistant Principal/Athletic Director Todd Hencsik at the end of 2011-12 school year. He left West after four years to become a principal at a northern Illinois high school.
He was replaced by Kyle Lemieux.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Slender Man stabbing suspect's attorney contesting doctor's ruling that Anissa Weier is competent
- Competency evaluation results for Anissa Weier, one of Slender Man stabbing suspects, will be revealed in court
- Waukesha man charged with threatening and sexually assaulting his wife
- Waukesha man accused of raping his disabled ex-girlfriend
- West Virginia man convicted of stalking terminally-ill teenage Waukesha girl
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Flu shots, concealed carry classes and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Oct. 23, 2014 issue
- Want to help the Waukesha Police Department? Here's your chance
- Lifeway Foods moving along with renovations at former Golden Guernsey plant in Waukesha
- Controversial two-town incorporation remains uncertain and undecided in Waukesha-Brookfield area