David Towers resigns as Waukesha West High School principal
Cites personal reasons behind departure
Citing "personal reasons," David Towers, principal of Waukesha West High School, resigned Friday.
Waukesha School District Superintendent Todd Gray informed parents of Towers’ sudden departure by letter.
“We regret that we do not have any other information to share with you at this time,” Gray said.
Towers was hired before the 2011-12 school year after serving as an assistant principal and associate principal at Germantown High School for five years.
He replaced Melissa Thompson, who left West to become the Swallow School District superintendent in Merton.
Gray said the district is working to ensure appropriate coverage for the remainder of the year and will begin planning the recruitment and selection process for a permanent replacement.
He added that Sara Behrendt, the district’s director of curriculum for secondary education, will work closely with West administrative staff during the transition period.
Towers’ profile was taken off West’s website on Monday and the site lists Behrendt as principal.
When Towers was hired in August 2011, he said he was very selective in applying for positions and said “West was the perfect fit.”
With a background in teaching and athletics early in his career, he looked to enhance West’s strong academic and athletic reputation.
He also made some changes to the school during his tenure by implementing random breath tests at school dances.
And at the start of this school year, he banned backpacks and purses for students between classes. It brought some initial backlash, but Towers said it was for safety concerns.
The school also had to replace Assistant Principal/Athletic Director Todd Hencsik at the end of 2011-12 school year. He left West after four years to become a principal at a northern Illinois high school.
He was replaced by Kyle Lemieux.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Top five picks for this weekend in Waukesha
- Waukesha County detective Peter Korns charged for domestic-related incident
- 'Suspicious' Halloween decoration turns out to be mannequin in a tree
- Waukesha man accused of repeatedly manufacturing, selling cocaine
- Waukesha man accused of molesting, groping his granddaughter for years
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Apple harvest, lawn care and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Waukesha wants judge to reverse ruling on former fire chief's job
- Waukesha asks public for help to fund new downtown holiday lights
- Second stabbing suspect to be mentally evaluated in Waukesha Slender Man case