Using the theme "Fire and Ice," the 28th annual Waukesha JanBoree takes place next weekend, offering more than 30 winter activities for adults and children.
The JanBoree is sponsored by the City of Waukesha Parks, Recreation and Forestry Department.
Most of the events are free.
The JanBoree kicks off Jan. 18 with opening ceremonies at Lowell Park, 2201 Michigan Ave., with Today's TMJ4 Chief Meteorologist John Malan. Events begin at 3 p.m. with a fireworks show at 8.
The JanBoree continues the following day with many events, including a pancake breakfast from 7:30 to 10:30 a.m. at the Schuetze Recreation Center, 1120 Baxter St., the ice-sculpting contest from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in downtown Waukesha, and the Frosty 5K Run/Walk from 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Frame Park, among others.
The JanBoree concludes with more events Jan. 20 that includes an ice-fishing clinic from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Minooka County Park beach area and ice bowling from 1 to 2:30 p.m. at the Lowell Park ice rink.
In addition to the events, free recycling bins and workshops by the Waukesha County Recycling staff will be given at various locations during the JanBoree.
These events include the pancake breakfast, the Wiggle with Worms program, 10 to 11 a.m. Jan. 19 at the Retzer Nature Center, Skate with Recycle Raccoon, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. at the Eble Ice Arena Jan. 19, recycling games and activities, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Jan. 20 at Retzer Nature Center and Skate with Recycle Raccoon, 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Jan. 20 at Naga-Waukee Ice Arena.
For more information and a complete list of events, visit JanBoree.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Journal Sentinel editorial: Maybe city and town of Brookfields should become one, rather than the town becoming a village
- Bedroom fire causes significant damage to Waukesha home
- The Spoon restaurant near downtown Waukesha closed 'until further notice'
- Fire damages home at Wexford Court in Waukesha
- Waukesha man sentenced to prison for his role in 2014 shooting on Kensington Drive
- Taco John's donates 10 percent of sales to family of Saeed Sharwani
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Grocery tips, eco-friendly workshops and more
- Mom bails out son, drives him to ex-girlfriend's house for confrontation (1)
- Waukesha Police Report: Jan. 29, 2015 issue
- Mia Famiglia bringing Sicilian cooking to downtown Waukesha