Waukesha - A 30-year-old Waukesha man was arrested Jan. 3 after admitting to police that he was the suspect sought in the Dec. 26 robbery of Associated Bank, 1270 W. Sunset Drive
James N. Rivera was charged Jan. 4 in Waukesha County Circuit Court with one felony count of robbery with the threat of force.
According to the criminal complaint, at about 1:30 p.m. Dec. 26, Rivera slid a note to the bank teller indicating that unless he was given $5,000 in the next 10 minutes, "he was going to detonate or blow up the bank."
The teller said in the complaint that after receiving $5,100 in various denominations, the suspect fled out the main entrance and appeared to get into a dark SUV or minivan parked near a local Subway restaurant.
Rivera was arrested based on an anonymous tip, according to a news release from the Waukesha Police Department.
In the criminal complaint, the anonymous tipster said she was a friend of the Rivera family and that Rivera had been telling various family members he was responsible for the robbery.
According to the complaint, Rivera, 6 feet, 2 inches tall and 225 pounds, matches the description of the suspect. The complaint also states that Rivera owns a dark-colored Dodge minivan similar to the one suspected to have been used in the robbery.
Rivera told police that on Dec. 26, "he was freaking out over money and decided that $5,000 from a bank would help," the complaint said. The complaint noted that Rivera was checked into Waukesha Memorial Hospital a few days before Christmas for depression and smokes marijuana to help with back pain.
The defendant also claims in the complaint he gave some of the money to his wife to pay bills and spent some on alcohol, gift cards, video games, marijuana and "lots of lottery tickets."
Rivera's first court date was schedules for Jan. 8.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Proposed Waukesha County Museum redevelopment plan coming before city panel
- 'Suspicious' fire damages Waukesha home overnight
- Attorney requests Slender Man stabbing suspect Morgan Geyser be moved to treatment facility
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Pet adoption drive, mob boss speaker and more
- Wife granted restraining order against former Waukesha County detective (1)
- Vehicle fire in Waukesha apartment building's underground parking garage creates 'an explosion'
- Former town of Waukesha chairwoman, resident file ethics complaint against chairman (2)
- Waukesha robotics team stays in top gear in regional competition en route to international event
- Waukesha Police Report: April 16, 2015 issue
- Oconomowoc man accused of getting high in store bathroom enters plea