"Freezin' for Hunger" fundraising event part of Waukesha JanBoree
Donations can be dropped off in downtown Waukesha
The Waukesha JanBoree, Waukesha County's popular winter festival, returns this weekend.
In addition to the many winter events, the fundraising event "Freezin' for Hunger," sponsored by the Food Pantry of Waukesha County, returns as well.
Karen Tredwell, executive director of the food pantry, said after a one-year hiatus, it is back with a kick-off at 4 p.m. Friday and goes until midnight in downtown Waukesha.
Volunteers and pantry staff can be found on the corner of Clinton and Main street near the Steaming Cup coffee shop where they will accept non-perishable food items and monetary donations for the pantry.
There is a drive-up, drop-off lane for donors.
Monetary donations labeled "Freezin' for Hunger" can also be mailed to the Food Pantry of Waukesha County at 1301 Sentry Drive, Waukesha, WI 53186.
Area resident and former pantry board member Tim Probst came up with the idea in 2005 to shed light on the issues of the homeless and hunger. He camped outside overnight exposed to the elements to raise awareness and collect donations for the pantry.
"The event has allowed me to surround myself with a lot of great people," Probst said. "I have met so many interesting and caring people that have many of the same interests that I do. It is good to be back."
Tredwell is grateful for Probsts' efforts and hopes it gets the community's support.
“As a volunteer of the pantry, Tim knows that this time of year can be tough for our agency," Tredwell said. "After the holidays, food donations dwindle until the Boy Scout Food Drive in March. He recognized that there are those in need in the community and simply stepped up and did something about it.
"He didn't wait for someone else or for the 'right' opportunity to do something. He just did it. We need more people like Tim who simply created his own event and opportunity to help people."
The JanBoree is in its 28th year and under new leadership for the first time.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New downtown apartment complex part of plan to save Waukesha County Museum
- Waukesha police investigating death of man found on sidewalk
- Waukesha police arrest Associated Bank armed robbery suspects
- Waukesha County Board approves resolution for staff to seek redevelopment proposals on former HHS building
- Waukesha man allegedly involved in shooting incident gets reduced bail
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Home improvement show, pancake fest and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Feb. 26, 2015 issue
- Two masked men rob Associated Bank in Waukesha at gunpoint
- Another wine bar could be coming to downtown Waukesha
- Darrin Malone, final suspect in Waukesha gas station homicide, arrested in Milwaukee