"Freezin' for Hunger" fundraising event part of Waukesha JanBoree
Donations can be dropped off in downtown Waukesha
The Waukesha JanBoree, Waukesha County's popular winter festival, returns this weekend.
In addition to the many winter events, the fundraising event "Freezin' for Hunger," sponsored by the Food Pantry of Waukesha County, returns as well.
Karen Tredwell, executive director of the food pantry, said after a one-year hiatus, it is back with a kick-off at 4 p.m. Friday and goes until midnight in downtown Waukesha.
Volunteers and pantry staff can be found on the corner of Clinton and Main street near the Steaming Cup coffee shop where they will accept non-perishable food items and monetary donations for the pantry.
There is a drive-up, drop-off lane for donors.
Monetary donations labeled "Freezin' for Hunger" can also be mailed to the Food Pantry of Waukesha County at 1301 Sentry Drive, Waukesha, WI 53186.
Area resident and former pantry board member Tim Probst came up with the idea in 2005 to shed light on the issues of the homeless and hunger. He camped outside overnight exposed to the elements to raise awareness and collect donations for the pantry.
"The event has allowed me to surround myself with a lot of great people," Probst said. "I have met so many interesting and caring people that have many of the same interests that I do. It is good to be back."
Tredwell is grateful for Probsts' efforts and hopes it gets the community's support.
“As a volunteer of the pantry, Tim knows that this time of year can be tough for our agency," Tredwell said. "After the holidays, food donations dwindle until the Boy Scout Food Drive in March. He recognized that there are those in need in the community and simply stepped up and did something about it.
"He didn't wait for someone else or for the 'right' opportunity to do something. He just did it. We need more people like Tim who simply created his own event and opportunity to help people."
The JanBoree is in its 28th year and under new leadership for the first time.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Man rescued from Dunkin' Donuts Dumpster after falling in while looking for wife's dentures
- Waukesha man accused of repeatedly assaulting 12-year-old boy
- Disgraced former Waukesha County sheriff's lieutenant gets jail time, probation
- Former sheriff's lieutenant gets jail time, probation
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Art crawl, awards lunch, health clinics and more
- Enter Halloween contest to win tickets to Legends & Lore
- Waukesha man accused of delivering drugs that caused overdose death
- Waukesha Police Report: Oct. 2, 2014 issue
- Waukesha lists curbside pickup and drop-off center times for leaves
- Spooky, isn't it: Halloween season kicks in Waukesha with Wisconsin Feargrounds