"Freezin' for Hunger" fundraising event part of Waukesha JanBoree
Donations can be dropped off in downtown Waukesha
The Waukesha JanBoree, Waukesha County's popular winter festival, returns this weekend.
In addition to the many winter events, the fundraising event "Freezin' for Hunger," sponsored by the Food Pantry of Waukesha County, returns as well.
Karen Tredwell, executive director of the food pantry, said after a one-year hiatus, it is back with a kick-off at 4 p.m. Friday and goes until midnight in downtown Waukesha.
Volunteers and pantry staff can be found on the corner of Clinton and Main street near the Steaming Cup coffee shop where they will accept non-perishable food items and monetary donations for the pantry.
There is a drive-up, drop-off lane for donors.
Monetary donations labeled "Freezin' for Hunger" can also be mailed to the Food Pantry of Waukesha County at 1301 Sentry Drive, Waukesha, WI 53186.
Area resident and former pantry board member Tim Probst came up with the idea in 2005 to shed light on the issues of the homeless and hunger. He camped outside overnight exposed to the elements to raise awareness and collect donations for the pantry.
"The event has allowed me to surround myself with a lot of great people," Probst said. "I have met so many interesting and caring people that have many of the same interests that I do. It is good to be back."
Tredwell is grateful for Probsts' efforts and hopes it gets the community's support.
“As a volunteer of the pantry, Tim knows that this time of year can be tough for our agency," Tredwell said. "After the holidays, food donations dwindle until the Boy Scout Food Drive in March. He recognized that there are those in need in the community and simply stepped up and did something about it.
"He didn't wait for someone else or for the 'right' opportunity to do something. He just did it. We need more people like Tim who simply created his own event and opportunity to help people."
The JanBoree is in its 28th year and under new leadership for the first time.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Kicker's Pub & Grub owner flees from man with a gun after closing
- Cuddles shop in downtown Waukesha closing its doors
- Waukesha County Executive Dan Vrakas holding virtual Town Hall meeting on Twitter
- Storms do damage once again in Waukesha
- Driving lesson in Waukesha's Prairie Home Cemetery results in police call
- Ideal weather helps boost Waukesha County Fair attendance
- Waukesha stabbing victim receives military Purple Heart
- Shoppes at Fox River gets final approval from Waukesha Plan Commission
- City of Waukesha will have new system for garbage, recycling pickup in 2015
- Two more Waukesha-area forums focus on District 97 state race