Waukesha - A 20-year-old man was charged in Waukesha County Circuit Court on Monday with felony counts of strangulation and suffocation, intimidation of a victim and false imprisonment after a domestic dispute on Jan. 18.
The defendant allegedly attacked the complainant at their shared residence, at one point allegedly strangling her and threatening to kill her with a knife if she called the police, according to the criminal complaint.
The alleged victim told police in the complaint that the defendant arrived home at approximately 10:30 p.m. and started insulting her. He then allegedly grabbed her by the shoulders and pushed her onto the couch. The complainant said she was concerned for herself and the safety of her child, and tried to call the police, but the defendant allegedly took her phone and said "he would kill her if she told the neighbors to call the police," the complaint reads. The alleged victim tried locking herself in the bathroom, but the defendant allegedly forced his way in and began strangling her, slamming her head against the closet door repeatedly, according to the complaint.
He let her go and the defendant tried leaving several more times before locking herself in the bedroom and calling police, the complaint reads.
The defendant disputes many of the complainants allegations, according to the complaint, and said he grabbed her phone because he thought she was texting other men.
The defendant is also being charged with misdemeanor disorderly conduct, endangering safety and battery and was ordered not to have any contact with the alleged victim or her family. The defendant's next expected court date is Jan. 23
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha Police Report: Sept. 10, 2015 issue
- Les Paul tour bus comes to namesake Waukesha middle school
- Waukesha's Rosalie Smith looks to use platform to help those suffering with addictions
- Waukesha water fight laps back and forth
- Two tenants get ready to open in old Kmart in Waukesha
- Waukesha gets into tiff over how to help struggling condo complex
- Latest Waukesha homicide still murky on details
- Health forces Waukesha alderman Patton to step down
- OSHA cites Waukesha Iron & Metal with 11 violations tied to fatality
- HAWS' expansion in Waukesha will help address space needs