Waukesha - A 20-year-old man was charged in Waukesha County Circuit Court on Monday with felony counts of strangulation and suffocation, intimidation of a victim and false imprisonment after a domestic dispute on Jan. 18.
The defendant allegedly attacked the complainant at their shared residence, at one point allegedly strangling her and threatening to kill her with a knife if she called the police, according to the criminal complaint.
The alleged victim told police in the complaint that the defendant arrived home at approximately 10:30 p.m. and started insulting her. He then allegedly grabbed her by the shoulders and pushed her onto the couch. The complainant said she was concerned for herself and the safety of her child, and tried to call the police, but the defendant allegedly took her phone and said "he would kill her if she told the neighbors to call the police," the complaint reads. The alleged victim tried locking herself in the bathroom, but the defendant allegedly forced his way in and began strangling her, slamming her head against the closet door repeatedly, according to the complaint.
He let her go and the defendant tried leaving several more times before locking herself in the bedroom and calling police, the complaint reads.
The defendant disputes many of the complainants allegations, according to the complaint, and said he grabbed her phone because he thought she was texting other men.
The defendant is also being charged with misdemeanor disorderly conduct, endangering safety and battery and was ordered not to have any contact with the alleged victim or her family. The defendant's next expected court date is Jan. 23
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- The Spoon will serve soups, pies at Hartwell Avenue location in Waukesha
- Jackson's Blue Ribbon Pub closed in downtown Waukesha
- Gunshots hit vehicles in parking lot on North University Drive in Waukesha
- Rollout of new garbage, recycling carts underway in city of Waukesha
- Waukesha woman sues the city's housing authority over lost rent assistance
- Fox Head Residences developer asks to postpone action on Waukesha apartments
- Nearby Citgo gas station closes early in response to last week's fatal shooting in Waukesha
- Arrests don't put an end of homicide's impact in Waukesha and for Brookfield family
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Health care reform, peace nominees and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Jan. 22, 2015, issue