Waukesha - A 20-year-old man was charged in Waukesha County Circuit Court on Monday with felony counts of strangulation and suffocation, intimidation of a victim and false imprisonment after a domestic dispute on Jan. 18.
The defendant allegedly attacked the complainant at their shared residence, at one point allegedly strangling her and threatening to kill her with a knife if she called the police, according to the criminal complaint.
The alleged victim told police in the complaint that the defendant arrived home at approximately 10:30 p.m. and started insulting her. He then allegedly grabbed her by the shoulders and pushed her onto the couch. The complainant said she was concerned for herself and the safety of her child, and tried to call the police, but the defendant allegedly took her phone and said "he would kill her if she told the neighbors to call the police," the complaint reads. The alleged victim tried locking herself in the bathroom, but the defendant allegedly forced his way in and began strangling her, slamming her head against the closet door repeatedly, according to the complaint.
He let her go and the defendant tried leaving several more times before locking herself in the bedroom and calling police, the complaint reads.
The defendant disputes many of the complainants allegations, according to the complaint, and said he grabbed her phone because he thought she was texting other men.
The defendant is also being charged with misdemeanor disorderly conduct, endangering safety and battery and was ordered not to have any contact with the alleged victim or her family. The defendant's next expected court date is Jan. 23
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Proposed Waukesha County Museum redevelopment plan coming before city panel
- 'Suspicious' fire damages Waukesha home overnight
- Attorney requests Slender Man stabbing suspect Morgan Geyser be moved to treatment facility
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Pet adoption drive, mob boss speaker and more
- Wife granted restraining order against former Waukesha County detective (1)
- Vehicle fire in Waukesha apartment building's underground parking garage creates 'an explosion'
- Former town of Waukesha chairwoman, resident file ethics complaint against chairman (2)
- Waukesha robotics team stays in top gear in regional competition en route to international event
- Waukesha Police Report: April 16, 2015 issue
- Oconomowoc man accused of getting high in store bathroom enters plea