City of Waukesha - A 17-year-old Waukesha boy was charged Jan. 17 in Waukesha County Circuit Court with being party to a vehicle theft after allegedly going on a "joy ride" Dec. 24 with a 16-year-old boy.
The two teenagers allegedly stole a 1996 Geo belonging to Jose J. Lopez Cruz at about 2 a.m. Dec. 24, according to the criminal complaint.
The defendant discovered the car was unlocked with the keys inside, said the defendant's friend, and asked him whether he wanted to go for a ride, the complaint said.
The defendant contradicted the other teenager in his statement, saying that they came across the vehicle stuck in a ditch in the snow and decided to take it for a joy ride, according to the complaint.
They allegedly drove to Milwaukee, where they picked up friends before driving to a mall in Brookfield, according to the complaint. They lost control of the vehicle at one point, sliding into a ditch on West Sunset Drive near St. Paul Avenue, according to the complaint.
An officer identified Cruz's vehicle outside Kwik Trip, 1908 W. St. Paul Ave., and the two Waukesha boys were reported to be inside the car.
If convicted, the defendant could face up to six years in prison and $10,000 in fines. He is expected to be in court Jan. 28.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha County Executive Paul Farrow holding Twitter Town Hall meeting
- Editorial: Farewell to Olson's Ace Hardware, a downtown Waukesha landmark
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Art crawl, Bluesfest, Night Out
- Waukesha Police Report: July 30, 2015 issue
- Waukesha's garbage and recycling rules change
- Ace will no longer be the place in downtown Waukesha (1)
- Waukesha pastor charged with first-degree sexual assault of a child (1)
- Surveys add to Waukesha alderman's web of public interaction
- Molina Healthcare giving out groceries, health kits at La Casa de Esperanza in Waukesha
- Waukesha man accused of putting 17-year-old girlfriend in a choke hold