City of Waukesha - A 17-year-old Waukesha boy was charged Jan. 17 in Waukesha County Circuit Court with being party to a vehicle theft after allegedly going on a "joy ride" Dec. 24 with a 16-year-old boy.
The two teenagers allegedly stole a 1996 Geo belonging to Jose J. Lopez Cruz at about 2 a.m. Dec. 24, according to the criminal complaint.
The defendant discovered the car was unlocked with the keys inside, said the defendant's friend, and asked him whether he wanted to go for a ride, the complaint said.
The defendant contradicted the other teenager in his statement, saying that they came across the vehicle stuck in a ditch in the snow and decided to take it for a joy ride, according to the complaint.
They allegedly drove to Milwaukee, where they picked up friends before driving to a mall in Brookfield, according to the complaint. They lost control of the vehicle at one point, sliding into a ditch on West Sunset Drive near St. Paul Avenue, according to the complaint.
An officer identified Cruz's vehicle outside Kwik Trip, 1908 W. St. Paul Ave., and the two Waukesha boys were reported to be inside the car.
If convicted, the defendant could face up to six years in prison and $10,000 in fines. He is expected to be in court Jan. 28.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Fiesta Waukesha, Carl Zach Cycling Classic highlight weekend events
- iCOMBAT laser tag facility opens Saturday in Waukesha
- Cup of change starts to make a difference
- Man charged with reckless homicide under Len Bias law
- The Legend at Merrill Hills sale closed Tuesday
- Woodman's customers navigating around construction
- Town of Waukesha allows for supervisors to attend meetings through video conferencing
- Armed bank robbery suspect still on the loose
- Man charged with stealing Porsche
- Police Report: June 20