Not many artists can say they've decorated a 10-foot fiberglass guitar.
With the GuitarTown project returning to Waukesha in 2013, artists have the opportunity to take on the challenge of painting a 10-foot Gibson Les Paul guitar or a regular-sized.
In order to be considered for this project artists must submit all materials by 5 p.m. Thursday.
All applicants must be at least 18 years old and a Wisconsin resident.
Applications will be processed by a selection committee and artists will be reviewed and selected based on their proposal, work examples and résumé.
Any artist selected toprovide artwork will be required to execute a contract for services approved by the selection committee, the Waukesha GuitarTown website notes.
Artists are asked to submit contact information, four photos (4-inch by 6-inch) of current artwork clearly labeled, a detailed concept proposal with both visual (minimum front and back) and a written description of the concept (only original materials will be accepted), a self-addressed, postage paid mailer if you want application materials returned (all application materials from selected artists will be retained by the selection committee until the project is completed).
The Waukesha GuitarTown website instructs individuals to send or deliver all materials to the AlmontGallery with the label, Waukesha West End Artists, 342 W. Main St.,Waukesha, WI 53186.
The GuitarTown project is a way to celebrate the contributions of Les Paul, a music icon who was born and is buried in Waukesha.
The project's goal, through its sponsorships, also raises money for the community. Last year $105,000 was raised: $45,000 to the Waukesha Public School District for new musical instruments and art supplies; $45,000 to the Les Paul exhibit at the Waukesha County Museum; $15,000 to the Waukesha Memorial Hospital to help fund the new Community Health Clinic.
For questions on GuitarTown artists, contact Waukesha GuitarTown Steering Committee member Lynn Gaffey at (262) 542-1522 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For more details, visit waukeshaguitartown.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Top five picks for this weekend in Waukesha
- Waukesha County detective Peter Korns charged for domestic-related incident
- 'Suspicious' Halloween decoration turns out to be mannequin in a tree
- Waukesha man accused of repeatedly manufacturing, selling cocaine
- Waukesha man accused of molesting, groping his granddaughter for years
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Apple harvest, lawn care and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Waukesha wants judge to reverse ruling on former fire chief's job
- Waukesha asks public for help to fund new downtown holiday lights
- Second stabbing suspect to be mentally evaluated in Waukesha Slender Man case