Town of Waukesha approves Dunkin' Donuts on Sunset
Modifications made to address prior concerns
A Dunkin' Donuts will be coming to the Town of Waukesha.
After a decision was delayed last month after seeing preliminary plans, the Town Board followed the Plan Commission's recommendation at last night's meeting and approved a 5,040 square-foot multi-tenant retail building that will house the doughnut shop at S30 W24836 Sunset Drive, Town Chairwoman Angie Van Scyoc said Friday.
The Dunkin' Donuts proposal was brought back to the Plan Commission and Town Board because of traffic and safety concerns they and neighbors had.
The Town Board and the Plan Commission's approval was based on confirmation of the allowance of the drive-through. The names of the other tenants to occupy that space have not been released.
Van Scyoc said the property still has to be purchased so a date of when it will open is to be determined.
Town Planner Roger Dupler said in a letter to the Town Board the alternates to the proposed access on to Prairie Avenue were determined by Town staff to be allowable.
The proposed access is expected to alleviate traffic congestion at the Sunset Drive access immediately west of the site, Dupler said.
Dupler said that by providing another route for east bound exiting traffic the existing congestion associated with the current unlighted and uncontrolled drive access will be reduced.
Dupler added that landscape modifications requested by the Plan Commission have been incorporated into the drawings; a large landscape island west of the building has been incorporated and appropriate plantings plan have been added to screen the headlights of the drive through traffic and additional evergreen material has been added around the dumpster.
"I feel very confident that the developers along with our planners and engineering staff brought back a good plan and the concerns were addressed," Van Scyoc said. "It's a positive thing and we're completing the revitalization of commercial space in the Town of Waukesha."
A Dunkin' Donuts opened in the City of Waukesha, 2450 N. Grandview Blvd., last fall.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- City of Waukesha seeks grant for trail land acquisition
- Montessori School in Waukesha expanding its campus
- Ambulance fees increasing by 5 percent in the city of Waukesha
- Xperience Fitness, Dollar Tree already committed to old Kmart site
- Waukesha Slender Man stabbing suspects both found competent to proceed
- Site of former Kmart in Waukesha on Sunset Drive will be redeveloped
- New Salvation Army officers learning Waukesha
- Waukesha Slender Man stabbing suspects returning to court for competency hearings
- Waukesha Plan Commission shops for better plan for vacant Kmart
- Waukesha Police Report: Dec. 18, 2014 issue