Like many other uniquely named places, Goerke's Corners is one of those locations that we've all driven by hundreds of times but never stopped to think about its origins.
According to information from the Wisconsin Historical Society, the busy crossroads is named for Frederick Goerke, who was a blacksmith, wagonmaker and innkeeper in that area in the 1870s. Goerke also served as postmaster for the post office that operated at that location from 1885-95.
The area wasn't always known as Goerke's Corners, however. The area was first called Storyville, named forAugustus Story, who settled in the area in 1837. After that, the location was called Blodgett, probably for Chester Blodgett, who arrived in 1843, according to information from the Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society.
The intersection is probably now best known for its busy traffic. A number of roads meet up there, including Bluemound Road (Highway JJ), Barker Road (Highway Y), I-94, East Moreland Boulevard, Highway 18 and Highway 164. The spot is also know for its park-and-ride lot, which offers free parking for 315 vehicles as well as parking for bikes, and is served by four bus lines.
What do you want to know? E-mail your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wapp Jr. guilty of selling drugs from southwest side Waukesha home last year
- Waukesha man who pointed rifle at police is charged with six felonies
- Waukesha Community Briefs: pet events, Chinese New Year and more
- Mad Rooster Cafe considers former Hardees site in downtown Waukesha
- Video: Catholic Memorial High School's Innovation Wing opens to rave reviews
- Review: WCT's 'Almost, Maine' gets it more than almost right
- Waukesha gas station murder suspect Darrin Malone heads to trial
- Pizza maker and caterer prep new spaces in downtown Waukesha
- Waukesha Police Report: Feb. 11, 2016 issue
- No arrests or citations issued in fatal crash in Waukesha (1)