Behind Famous Dave's restaurant on Moreland Boulevard, visible from the road, stands a tall, brown wooden structure that looks almost like someone constructed a building around a cell tower.
That's not exactly the case. There is a tower inside, but it's not a cell tower; instead, it's a microwave communications tower that was once used by AT&T. The tower, a small building attached to it, and the technology inside are no longer in use.
While it looks like the tower is in the Famous Dave's parking lot, it is actually part of the piece of property located at 2140 Davidson Road. That property contains a 55,000-square-foot building once used as an AT&T call center that is now home to Carroll University's Center for Graduate Studies, according to Carroll spokeswoman Claire Beglinger.
Graduate programs offered at the center include physical therapy, physician assistant, education, software engineering and business administration. Beglinger said the building is also used for other classes, conferences, meetings and events by a wide variety of community groups.
Carroll bought the Davidson Road property containing the former call center building and the tower in 2009. AT&T still has access rights to the tower and its microwave technology. When those rights expire six years from now, Carroll may consider tearing down the tower, Beglinger said.
What do you want to know? Email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Kicker's Pub & Grub owner flees from man with a gun after closing
- Cuddles shop in downtown Waukesha closing its doors
- Waukesha County Executive Dan Vrakas holding virtual Town Hall meeting on Twitter
- Storms do damage once again in Waukesha
- Driving lesson in Waukesha's Prairie Home Cemetery results in police call
- Ideal weather helps boost Waukesha County Fair attendance
- Waukesha stabbing victim receives military Purple Heart
- Shoppes at Fox River gets final approval from Waukesha Plan Commission
- City of Waukesha will have new system for garbage, recycling pickup in 2015
- Two more Waukesha-area forums focus on District 97 state race