The Town of Waukesha has a new chairman.
Challenger John Marek defeated incumbent Angie E. Van Scyoc by almost 200 votes, 1,502 to 1,309, in the general election Tuesday.
Marek, a general contractor/real estate investor, had no prior political experience but ran an aggressive campaign against Van Scyoc.
Van Scyoc, who owns a management consulting firm, had served on the board since 2010 when she took over the chairman position after winning a recall election.
Before that, she served on the Town of Waukesha Plan Commission for 18 years.
Marek, a 13-year Town of Waukesha resident, had ran unsuccessfully in the Assembly District 84 Republican Primary in 2010.
But in this election that he ultimately won, Marek, 49, disputed many issues with Van Scyoc throughout the contentious campaign trail - one that spilled over into social media.
These issues included the water service area, how the Town is managing its finances, the amount of Town Board meetings that went into closed session, the Town of Brookfield incorporation and whether or not to allow a supervisor to attend meetings via Skype while he spends his winters in Texas.
The chairman seat is a two-year term.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- The Spoon will serve soups, pies at Hartwell Avenue location in Waukesha
- Jackson's Blue Ribbon Pub closed in downtown Waukesha
- Gunshots hit vehicles in parking lot on North University Drive in Waukesha
- Rollout of new garbage, recycling carts underway in city of Waukesha
- Waukesha woman sues the city's housing authority over lost rent assistance
- Fox Head Residences developer asks to postpone action on Waukesha apartments
- Nearby Citgo gas station closes early in response to last week's fatal shooting in Waukesha
- Arrests don't put an end of homicide's impact in Waukesha and for Brookfield family
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Health care reform, peace nominees and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Jan. 22, 2015, issue