Meijer reveals plans to come to Waukesha
Would be located at corner of Sunset Drive and Tenny Avenue
Mayor Jeff Scrima said Meijer, Inc. has revealed plans for the construction of a proposed store in the City of Waukesha.
Scrima said Meijer would construct its food, clothing and home good merchandising center on the 30-acre parcel located at the southeast corner of Sunset Drive and Tenny Avenue, pending governmental approval.
A preliminary timeline is for construction to begin during the first quarter of 2014 with a store opening scheduled for summer of 2015.
This comes after plans were recently announced to redevelop the former vacant Kmart store on east Sunset Drive. Xperience Fitness will be one of the tenants at that location with space available for other retail stores.
In 2011, Scrima and local property owner Dave Smart invited and encouraged Meijer to come to Waukesha.
"The vitality of the City of Waukesha has been a driving force behind Meijer’s decision to locate a store here," Smart said. "Meijer’s takes nothing for granted and looks forward to working with the City to obtain the necessary entitlements for construction and operation of proposed facilities."
It will come before the Plan Commission at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at City Hall.
Scrima is looking forward to the new development.
"This has been and will continue to be a team effort," Scrima said. "We look forward to the quality of products, economic revitalization of the east Sunset Drive corridor, and the career opportunities that Meijer’s will provide to our community."
Meijer is a regional American retailer with about half of the company's 200 stores located in Michigan, with additional locations in Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky and most recently Wisconsin.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha man receives prison sentence for battering pregnant girlfriend
- Wapp Jr. guilty of selling drugs from southwest side Waukesha home last year
- Waukesha man who pointed rifle at police is charged with six felonies
- Waukesha Community Briefs: pet events, Chinese New Year and more
- Mad Rooster Cafe considers former Hardees site in downtown Waukesha
- Video: Catholic Memorial High School's Innovation Wing opens to rave reviews
- Review: WCT's 'Almost, Maine' gets it more than almost right
- Waukesha gas station murder suspect Darrin Malone heads to trial
- Pizza maker and caterer prep new spaces in downtown Waukesha
- Waukesha Police Report: Feb. 11, 2016 issue