Lifeway Foods sale approved by judge
Will open at former Golden Guernsey plant later this summer
It's now official.
The bankruptcy judge approved the sale of the closed Golden Guernsey plant to Lifeway Foods Inc., on Monday.
This comes about a month after the dairy processing plant was sold at a bankruptcy auction to the Morton Grove, Ill., company for $7.4 million.
Lifeway Chief Executive Officer Julie Smolyansky said it's the company's goal to open later this summer and plans on rehiring as many of the former Golden Guernsey employees as possible.
More than 100 employees were out of a job after the Waukesha plant, 2101 Delafield St., abruptly closed in early January.
Lifeway Foods sells dairy products known as kefir and organic kefir. Lifeway Kefir is a dairy beverage that contains live and active probiotic cultures plus ProBoost. The company produces a variety of Frozen Kefir and probiotic cheese products.
Smolyansky said in an interview last month Lifeway was looking to expand beyond its 55,000-square-foot facility and that the 170,000-square-foot Waukesha facility was a perfect fit.
"It should be a good future and opportunity," she said.
She added Lifeway has seen revenue grow by 20 to 30 percent every year since the company was founded in 1986.
This is evident by recent figures released by Lifeway saying it reached record sales in 2012.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha man pleads guilty, gets life sentence for triple homicide
- Waukesha man charged in motorcyclist's death
- Police Report: Dec. 5
- Donations help Hope Center's clients stay warm
- Women's Center gets $4,000 Packers grant
- Get in the spirit downtown this month
- Hardees shuts down well before its lease expired
- Final suspect in shooting near Waukesha Woodman's turns himself in
- Food drives creating lasting bonds for Waukesha neighborhoods
- Nominate someone who inspires you