Merrill Hills Country Club is an iconic place in the Town of Waukesha. It's been here since 1929, serving members through its many amenities, including catering and banquets, golf, tennis and pool, wedding and corporate events.
Its members will now be golfing and playing tennis at The Legend at Merrill Hills. This came after the sale of the club closed Tuesday.
The members voted on the sale a couple weeks ago, and The Legend owner Jack Gaudion said they overwhelmingly approved the sale.
The Town Board also approved the conditional-use permit and the transfer of the liquor and cigarette and tobacco licenses at its meeting June 13. This was necessary due to the change in ownership.
While Gaudion and Merrill Hills management have not said much about the sale, a source familiar with the situation said the club had been experiencing financial difficulties.
This now gives Gaudion four clubs across the area. He opened The Legend at Brandybrook in 2003 in Wales, purchased The Legend at Bergamont in 2007 in Oregon, Wis., and bought Bristlecone Pines Golf Club in 2009 in Hartland, renaming that course The Legend at Bristlecone. Members have access to all clubs.
All of the clubs are private, and Gaudion said The Legend at Merrill Hills will remain a private club as well.
Some town residents at the meeting expressed concerns that the course was going public due to an agenda item that said "public course."
Gaudion also addressed other concerns from neighbors during the public hearing on the conditional-use permit regarding the site, ranging from noise to environmental.
- 2016 Waukesha County Fair coverage
- Our Fair Ladies Blog: Video: Crafting and animal races at the Waukesha County Fair
- Outstanding fees could prevent students from graduation ceremonies
- Studio time gives students opportunity to create
- Stay cool at Hebron House and Jeremy Safe Haven
- Waukesha Salvation Army offering cool place to stay in light of impending heat wave
- Crest owner brings Irish flavor to new venture in downtown Waukesha
- Funeral Services: July 21, 2016 issue
- Complaint: Waukesha woman, drunk, grabbed gun following phone dispute
- Waukesha police report: July 21, 2016 issue