A 41-year-old Waukesha man was charged Friday with allegedly running what police described as a “sophisticated” marijuana growing operation out of his basement.
Kevin J. Noe was charged June 14 in Waukesha County Circuit Court with possession with intent to deliver THC (greater than 200 grams, but less than 1000 grams), possession of drug paraphernalia, maintaining a drug trafficking place and manufacturing THC (greater than 200 grams, less than 1000).
Noe pleaded no contest to various drug-related offenses in both 1994 and 2005.
According to the criminal complaint, Waukesha City Police were dispatched March 9 to Noe’s residence, 913 Madison Street, to respond to a domestic disturbance call.
Standing in the doorway, An officer saw bags and mason jars filled with marijuana, according to the complaint, as well as various drug paraphernalia.
The officer went down into the basement area and found a 4 feet wide and 8 feet long tent. Inside the tent was five marijuana plants, each about a foot tall, according to the complaint. Another tent contained several plants that were 2 feet tall, according to the complaint.
Also found was specialized growing equipment, including sophisticated lighting, ventilation and air purification systems, the complaint reads.
Noe told police in a statement that he had started growing marijuana about a year ago, according to the complaint. He said he used to take pain pills for a back problem, but found himself getting addicted, so he decided to smoke marijuana instead.
He claimed that the marijuana was for personal use only and he smoked about an ounce a week, according to the complaint.
Noe could face more than 23 years in prison, $30,000 in fines, or both, if convicted.
His next expected court date is June 24.
- Carroll University's new Lowry Hall gets final approval from Waukesha Plan Commission
- Waukesha native's Smart Program Training targets dementia progression
- Now You Know: branch collection
- News in Brief: June 23, 2016 issue
- Funeral services: June 23, 2016 issue
- Waukesha's water diversion application wins unanimous approval
- Plea hearing set for Waukesha man accused of pointing unloaded assault rifle at police
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Kitty shower, wordly talk and more
- Waukesha police report: June 23, 2016 issue
- Waukesha's iconic Gasthaus restaurant to close this weekend (4)