A 31-year-old Milwaukee man was charged June 18 in Waukesha County Circuit Court with child neglect and intoxicated driving (second offense), found by police “comatose” in his truck after injecting heroin. His 5-year-old son was also in the vehicle.
According to the criminal complaint, A witness called Waukesha City Police on June 16 after seeing a parked car idling outside a condominium complex at 1520 Big Bend Road.
An officer was dispatched to the scene and found the vehicle. Inside was a small child wearing only a diaper and a man, later identified as Steven M. Kraft, passed out behind the wheel, according to the complaint. The car was on and the man seemed to be depressing the brake.
The officer had to shake the man to awaken him. When he awoke, the officer asked him if he was on anything and he admitted to injecting heroin, according to the complaint.
A field sobriety test was administered, during which Kraft could barely maintain his balance. When the officer asked the man how many fingers he was holding up, Kraft incorrectly answered two instead of four.
The man said he had shot up three hours before police arrived.
Kraft could face almost two years in prison, $12,200 in fines, or both, if convicted.
His next expected court date is June 26.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha South hosting alumni show
- UW-Waukesha presents classy 'Kiss Me, Kate'
- Waukesha Police Report: July 24, 2014 issue
- Waukesha man accused of suffocating ex-girlfriend twice during dispute
- Brewers' Hank the Dog coming to Waukesha
- Forums for District 97 state assembly race coming up
- Scorpion Trike strikes where it counts for Waukesha design firm
- Weather has slowed down field turf project at Waukesha schools
- City of Waukesha debates how to fill top-level jobs
- Waukesha teenagers charged with felony counts for recent burglaries on southwest side of city