A 31-year-old Milwaukee man was charged June 18 in Waukesha County Circuit Court with child neglect and intoxicated driving (second offense), found by police “comatose” in his truck after injecting heroin. His 5-year-old son was also in the vehicle.
According to the criminal complaint, A witness called Waukesha City Police on June 16 after seeing a parked car idling outside a condominium complex at 1520 Big Bend Road.
An officer was dispatched to the scene and found the vehicle. Inside was a small child wearing only a diaper and a man, later identified as Steven M. Kraft, passed out behind the wheel, according to the complaint. The car was on and the man seemed to be depressing the brake.
The officer had to shake the man to awaken him. When he awoke, the officer asked him if he was on anything and he admitted to injecting heroin, according to the complaint.
A field sobriety test was administered, during which Kraft could barely maintain his balance. When the officer asked the man how many fingers he was holding up, Kraft incorrectly answered two instead of four.
The man said he had shot up three hours before police arrived.
Kraft could face almost two years in prison, $12,200 in fines, or both, if convicted.
His next expected court date is June 26.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha woman accused of stabbing boyfriend: 'you mess with me, you get cut'
- Several animals die in Waukesha house fire
- Multiple railroad crossings in Waukesha to receive repairs
- Editorial: It's time for the water fights to end
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Harp performers, Tribute concert series and more
- Waukesha Police Report: July 2, 2015 issue
- Parade, fireworks highlight Fourth of July festivities in Waukesha
- Top 10 things to do in Waukesha this summer
- Jury trials scheduled for Waukesha gas station homicide suspects
- Committee moves proposed downtown Waukesha apartment forward