Waukesha man charged with "car shopping" at Summit Elementary School
19-year-old man arrested in March burglarizing parent's home
A 19-year-old Waukesha man was charged Tuesday in Waukesha County Circuit Court with allegedly stealing items from cars parked at Summit View Elementary School. He was arrested March 25 breaking into his parents’ house, located at 2019 Norton Avenue, City of Waukesha.
Sean M. Litzau was charged July 16 with two counts burglary of a building and three counts misdemeanor theft. He could face more than 27 years in prison and $80,000 in fines if convicted.
According to the criminal complaint:
Waukesha City Police were dispatched Feb. 19 to Summit View Elementary School, 2100 Summit Ave., after receiving reports of a theft.
Kevin Weber said someone had stolen a cell phone and briefcase out of his unlocked car while he was dropping off his child. The briefcase was found in a garbage bin behind the school several days later. The briefcase contained a pill bottle prescribed to Terese Zipfel, later identified as Litzau’s mother.
The Zipfel’s reported on March 19 that their home had been burglarized, with almost $4,000 in electronics and jewelry stolen. The Zipfel’s said they suspected their son was the culprit.
Kristine Bennett reported to police March 21 that she had caught a man breaking into her car at the school. The man escaped with several items, including Bennett’s iPod and GPS navigation unit.
Four days later, police were again dispatched to Zipfel’s home after receiving reports of a robbery in progress. Litzau was arrested exiting the house from a rear window with a garbage bag full of clothes and electronics. Police found in his vehicle the iPod stolen from Bennett, as well as two GPS navigation units.
Litzau admitted to breaking into the cars at the elementary school and burglarizing his parents’ home. He said he did it to feed a drug habit.
Litzau is being held at Waukesha County Jail on a $2,500 cash bond. He is next expected to appear in court on July 18.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha pools closing for the season
- Waukesha woman accused of striking children, husband after night of drinking
- It was a twister in Waukesha, after all, National Weather Service says
- Waukesha's La Casa de Esperanza opens its new charter school
- Trial date set in Slender Man case in Waukesha (1)
- Waukesha Community Briefs: HAWS collection drive, Dialogue Initiative and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Aug. 27, 2015 issue
- Waukesha Catholic schools make a welcoming Choice in revised voucher program
- Homeless Waukesha man charged with battering woman (1)
- Waukesha again seeks public's assistance in funding downtown holiday lights