Waukesha man charged with "car shopping" at Summit Elementary School
19-year-old man arrested in March burglarizing parent's home
A 19-year-old Waukesha man was charged Tuesday in Waukesha County Circuit Court with allegedly stealing items from cars parked at Summit View Elementary School. He was arrested March 25 breaking into his parents’ house, located at 2019 Norton Avenue, City of Waukesha.
Sean M. Litzau was charged July 16 with two counts burglary of a building and three counts misdemeanor theft. He could face more than 27 years in prison and $80,000 in fines if convicted.
According to the criminal complaint:
Waukesha City Police were dispatched Feb. 19 to Summit View Elementary School, 2100 Summit Ave., after receiving reports of a theft.
Kevin Weber said someone had stolen a cell phone and briefcase out of his unlocked car while he was dropping off his child. The briefcase was found in a garbage bin behind the school several days later. The briefcase contained a pill bottle prescribed to Terese Zipfel, later identified as Litzau’s mother.
The Zipfel’s reported on March 19 that their home had been burglarized, with almost $4,000 in electronics and jewelry stolen. The Zipfel’s said they suspected their son was the culprit.
Kristine Bennett reported to police March 21 that she had caught a man breaking into her car at the school. The man escaped with several items, including Bennett’s iPod and GPS navigation unit.
Four days later, police were again dispatched to Zipfel’s home after receiving reports of a robbery in progress. Litzau was arrested exiting the house from a rear window with a garbage bag full of clothes and electronics. Police found in his vehicle the iPod stolen from Bennett, as well as two GPS navigation units.
Litzau admitted to breaking into the cars at the elementary school and burglarizing his parents’ home. He said he did it to feed a drug habit.
Litzau is being held at Waukesha County Jail on a $2,500 cash bond. He is next expected to appear in court on July 18.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha man who pointed rifle at police is charged with six felonies
- Waukesha Community Briefs: pet events, Chinese New Year and more
- Mad Rooster Cafe considers former Hardees site in downtown Waukesha
- Catholic Memorial High School's Innovation Wing opens to rave reviews
- Review: WCT's 'Almost, Maine' gets it more than almost right
- Waukesha gas station murder suspect Darrin Malone heads to trial
- Pizza maker and caterer prep new spaces in downtown Waukesha
- Waukesha Police Report: Feb. 11, 2016 issue
- No arrests or citations issued in fatal crash in Waukesha (1)
- Woman hit, killed by car at 164 and Sunset