A 19-year-old Waukesha man was charged Tuesday, July 16 in Waukesha County Circuit Court with allegedly firebombing a woman’s car outside his home at 501 Barney Street.
According to the criminal complaint:
Waukesha City Police were dispatched around 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, April 27 to 504 Barney Street, City of Waukesha, after receiving reports of a vehicle on fire.
Police found at the scene a 2000 Dodge Caravan was partially on fire with a broken passenger side window. A beer bottle reeking of gasoline was found nearby, along with a charred T-shirt.
The vehicle’s owner told police she had no clue why her vehicle was targeted.
On May 14, an officer made contact with Samantha Moon, who said she held a small get together at her house, located across the street, the day of the incident. She said her roommate, Erickson, had said during the party that he was bored and wanted to “Molotov cocktail” something.
A Molotov cocktail, also known as a fire or petrol bomb, is a generic name for a bottle-based incendiary device.
Moon said Erickson left the party holding a beer bottle with a piece of cloth coming out of it. A short time later, she heard a loud crash and Erickson came running back to the yard. He allegedly told everyone to get their stories straight in case the cops came, Moon said.
Several other people at the party echoed Moon’s account, with one witness saying he allegedly saw Erickson throw the makeshift bomb at the read window of the van.
Erickson, who was charged with manufacturing a Molotov cocktail and criminal damage to property, chose not to make a statement to police.
He could face almost seven years in prison and $20,000 in fines if convicted.
His next expected court date is July 19.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha Police Report: July 30, 2015 issue
- Waukesha's garbage and recycling rules change
- Ace will no longer be the place in downtown Waukesha
- Waukesha pastor charged with first-degree sexual assault of a child (1)
- Surveys add to Waukesha alderman's web of public interaction
- Molina Healthcare giving out groceries, health kits at La Casa de Esperanza in Waukesha
- Waukesha man accused of putting 17-year-old girlfriend in a choke hold
- Waukesha man facing charges in three separate criminal cases
- Waukesha County Fair has best opening day attendance mark in history
- Rep. Chris Kapenga easily wins District 33 state Senate seat in Waukesha County