A 19-year-old Waukesha man was charged Tuesday, July 16 in Waukesha County Circuit Court with allegedly firebombing a woman’s car outside his home at 501 Barney Street.
According to the criminal complaint:
Waukesha City Police were dispatched around 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, April 27 to 504 Barney Street, City of Waukesha, after receiving reports of a vehicle on fire.
Police found at the scene a 2000 Dodge Caravan was partially on fire with a broken passenger side window. A beer bottle reeking of gasoline was found nearby, along with a charred T-shirt.
The vehicle’s owner told police she had no clue why her vehicle was targeted.
On May 14, an officer made contact with Samantha Moon, who said she held a small get together at her house, located across the street, the day of the incident. She said her roommate, Erickson, had said during the party that he was bored and wanted to “Molotov cocktail” something.
A Molotov cocktail, also known as a fire or petrol bomb, is a generic name for a bottle-based incendiary device.
Moon said Erickson left the party holding a beer bottle with a piece of cloth coming out of it. A short time later, she heard a loud crash and Erickson came running back to the yard. He allegedly told everyone to get their stories straight in case the cops came, Moon said.
Several other people at the party echoed Moon’s account, with one witness saying he allegedly saw Erickson throw the makeshift bomb at the read window of the van.
Erickson, who was charged with manufacturing a Molotov cocktail and criminal damage to property, chose not to make a statement to police.
He could face almost seven years in prison and $20,000 in fines if convicted.
His next expected court date is July 19.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha pools closing for the season
- Waukesha woman accused of striking children, husband after night of drinking
- It was a twister in Waukesha, after all, National Weather Service says (1)
- Waukesha's La Casa de Esperanza opens its new charter school
- Trial date set in Slender Man case in Waukesha (1)
- Waukesha Community Briefs: HAWS collection drive, Dialogue Initiative and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Aug. 27, 2015 issue
- Waukesha Catholic schools make a welcoming Choice in revised voucher program
- Homeless Waukesha man charged with battering woman (2)
- Waukesha again seeks public's assistance in funding downtown holiday lights