With heat index near 100 degrees, firefighters team to extinguish Waukesha house fire
One resident treated at scene for heat-related issue
A Thursday morning fire in the attic of two-story, single-family home in Waukesha has resulted in an estimated $50,000 in property damage.
All of the occupants in the home, 405 E. Main St. in the central part of the city, exited the home before the first Fire Department unit arrived on the scene at 10:06 a.m.
But one of the residents was treated on the scene by paramedics for a heat-related issue.
However, the person was released at the scene and did not need to be transported to a medical facility.
Four units (from stations 1, 2, 3 and 4) were dispatched at 10:03 a.m. with the first unit arriving three minutes later. A large volume of smoke was coming from the roof area of a two-story, single-family residence, said Battalion Chief/Shift Commander Steve Ore.
Upon arrival, firefighters saw a large volume of smoke coming from the roof area of the home, Ore said.
The crew used a 1 ¾-inch hand line and began an aggressive, interior attack. They made their way to the second floor where they found the fire in the attic and immediately started to extinguish the fire.
Meanwhile, Station 2 crews cut a hole in the roof to stop the spread of the fire horizontally and to allow smoke and heat to escape from the structure, greatly improving the conditions for the crews fighting the fire inside, Ore said.
“Due to a well coordinated effort by all units of the scene the fire was quickly brought under control,” Ore said.
Ore added firefighting crews were rotated more frequently than normal due to the extreme air temperatures. The heat index in Waukesha is in the upper 90s.
No firefighters were injured.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Habitat for Humanity of Waukesha County opening ReStore in Waukesha
- Gas main break disrupts Waukesha neighborhood, but causes no serious problems
- Man accused of choking woman over Facebook post
- Major gas main break disrupts Waukesha neighborhood
- Waukesha man accused of choking ex-girlfriend over Facebook post
- Carroll student director's effort deals with no small Peanuts in Waukesha play
- Waukesha Police Report: Aug. 28, 2014 issue
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Aug. 28, 2014 issue
- Jackson's Blue Ribbon Pub still closed for 'restaffing' in downtown Waukesha
- Meijer gets final approval from Waukesha Common Council