City of Waukesha selects new finance director
Abbott previously worked for Washington County
The City of Waukesha has a new finance director.
Richard Abbott, who has served as the assistant finance director for Washington County since 2008, has accepted the position. The appointment is subject to final approval by the Common Council.
Before his five years in Washington County, he was a senior manager with Schenck, a public accounting firm in Milwaukee.
City Administrator Ed Henschel led the extensive search process and said Abbott's first priorities will be working on the 2014 city budget and assisting with the final implementation of the city's financial software system.
Abbott has a bachelor of science degree from the University of Wisconsin Green Bay and more than seven years of municipal accounting experience.
Henschel is excited to have Abbott join the city's management team and describes him as high energy, enthusiastic with imaginative ideas. Henschel thanked the search committee (Common Council President Terry Thieme, Human Resources Committee Chair Joan Francoeur, aldermen Joe Pieper and Andy Reiland and HR Manager Donna Whalen) for the time they put in conducting interviews and reviewing candidates.
In a news release, Mayor Jeff Scrima said having a qualified person in charge of the finance department is critical to the operations of the city and is looking forward to working with Abbott as well.
Abbott's first day is Aug. 12. He and his wife, Beth, live in Menomonee Falls.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Zombie walk, trick-or-treating this weekend in downtown Waukesha
- Election 2014: State Assembly District 83 Voter's Guide
- Slender Man stabbing suspect's attorney contesting doctor's ruling that Anissa Weier is competent
- Competency evaluation results for Anissa Weier, one of Slender Man stabbing suspects, will be revealed in court
- Waukesha man charged with threatening and sexually assaulting his wife
- Waukesha man accused of raping his disabled ex-girlfriend
- West Virginia man convicted of stalking terminally-ill teenage Waukesha girl
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Flu shots, concealed carry classes and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Oct. 23, 2014 issue
- Want to help the Waukesha Police Department? Here's your chance