City of Waukesha selects new finance director
Abbott previously worked for Washington County
The City of Waukesha has a new finance director.
Richard Abbott, who has served as the assistant finance director for Washington County since 2008, has accepted the position. The appointment is subject to final approval by the Common Council.
Before his five years in Washington County, he was a senior manager with Schenck, a public accounting firm in Milwaukee.
City Administrator Ed Henschel led the extensive search process and said Abbott's first priorities will be working on the 2014 city budget and assisting with the final implementation of the city's financial software system.
Abbott has a bachelor of science degree from the University of Wisconsin Green Bay and more than seven years of municipal accounting experience.
Henschel is excited to have Abbott join the city's management team and describes him as high energy, enthusiastic with imaginative ideas. Henschel thanked the search committee (Common Council President Terry Thieme, Human Resources Committee Chair Joan Francoeur, aldermen Joe Pieper and Andy Reiland and HR Manager Donna Whalen) for the time they put in conducting interviews and reviewing candidates.
In a news release, Mayor Jeff Scrima said having a qualified person in charge of the finance department is critical to the operations of the city and is looking forward to working with Abbott as well.
Abbott's first day is Aug. 12. He and his wife, Beth, live in Menomonee Falls.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- The Spoon restaurant near downtown Waukesha closed 'until further notice'
- Fire damages home at Wexford Court in Waukesha
- Waukesha man sentenced to prison for his role in 2014 shooting on Kensington Drive
- Taco John's donates 10 percent of sales to family of Saeed Sharwani
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Grocery tips, eco-friendly workshops and more
- Mom bails out son, drives him to ex-girlfriend's house for confrontation (1)
- Waukesha Police Report: Jan. 29, 2015 issue
- Mia Famiglia bringing Sicilian cooking to downtown Waukesha
- Waukesha apartment plan may get further revisions
- Legal fight over historic Blair House in Waukesha continues