Man charged with fleeing Waukesha Police, copper theft
Man, 64, allegedly crashed into an I-94 overpass during car chase
A 64-year-old Milwaukee man was charged July 19 in Waukesha County with attempting to flee pursuing officers after he allegedly stole copper wire from a Waukesha business.
According to the criminal complaint, Waukesha City Police were alerted by a witness to the alleged theft at 8 a.m. on June 15. The witness said a man wearing a striped shirt had stolen the copper and then fled in an older blue station wagon.
An officer spotted the vehicle traveling on Highway 164 toward East Broadway Street and began pursuit. At a red light the officer noted the vehicle's license plate and tried pulling the station wagon over.
The vehicle turned and accelerated to 55 miles per hour on East Moreland Boulevard before eventually entering onto I-94 east, according to the complaint. The station wagon reached speeds of more than 100 miles per hour on the highway, according to the complaint, and struck an overpass after jumping a curb. The vehicle eventually exited onto Moorland Road. The officer decided to discontinue the pursuit, which spanned 6.8 miles, because of safety concerns.
The registered owner of the vehicle told police that she loaned the car to her boyfriend, Johnnie Landers, the morning of the chase, the complaint states. An officer identified Landers as the driver based on a booking photo.
PMI Energy Solutions later told police that $500 of copper was missing from a pick up truck belonging to the company.
Landers previously pleaded guilty in 2011 to felony theft and was sentenced to one year in prison and one year extended supervision, according to online court records. That sentence was suspended in lieu of 18 months probation.
Landers could face more than 10 years in prison and $20,000 in fines if convicted.
He is expected to make an initial appearance in court Aug. 5.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New downtown apartment complex part of plan to save Waukesha County Museum
- Waukesha police investigating death of man found on sidewalk
- Waukesha police arrest Associated Bank armed robbery suspects
- Waukesha County Board approves resolution for staff to seek redevelopment proposals on former HHS building
- Waukesha man allegedly involved in shooting incident gets reduced bail
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Home improvement show, pancake fest and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Feb. 26, 2015 issue
- Two masked men rob Associated Bank in Waukesha at gunpoint
- Another wine bar could be coming to downtown Waukesha
- Darrin Malone, final suspect in Waukesha gas station homicide, arrested in Milwaukee