Tenants at old Kmart site in Waukesha depend on approval of proposed Meijer development
Plan Commission approves preliminary plans for building and site modifications
Plans are in the works to improve the old Kmart site at 120 E. Sunset Drive that has been vacant for a couple of years now.
And while the Waukesha Plan Commission approved preliminary plans for building and site modifications Wednesday night, the tenants at that site could largely depend on a separate nearby proposed development currently up in the air.
This came to light when broker Jon Thoresen of Commercial Properties Associates, a partner in the development, said if the proposed Meijer project, located on the southeast corner of Tenny Avenue and E. Sunset Drive, doesn't get approved a couple of the tenants, which have not been announced yet, would not locate there.
Thoresen said retailers like to be by other high traffic sites and that includes the proposed Meijer, a 192,000-square-foot supercenter that has seen its fair share of pushback from neighbors near the site.
The Meijer development temporarily stalled last week when not enough votes were cast in approving a land-use plan from residential to commercial.
However, Alderman Andy Reiland requested that it come back before the Common Council at its next meeting, which is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at City Hall, 201 Delafield St.
Xperience Fitness previously signed a letter of intent to be one of the four tenants that could fill the 115,000-square-foot facility. The 40,000-square fitness center would move from its location on the west side of Sunset Drive.
Community Development Specialist Jeff Fortin said a 10,000-square-foot addition is also in the works at this facility for the future. Two additional outlots were also in the original plans.
The updates on the site, Fortin said Wednesday, include new landscape islands and a complete renovation inside.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- The Shoppes at Fox River coming before Waukesha Plan Commission for final approval
- Waukesha South hosting alumni show
- UW-Waukesha presents classy 'Kiss Me, Kate'
- Waukesha Police Report: July 24, 2014 issue
- Waukesha man accused of suffocating ex-girlfriend twice during dispute
- Brewers' Hank the Dog coming to Waukesha
- Forums for District 97 state assembly race coming up
- Scorpion Trike strikes where it counts for Waukesha design firm
- Weather has slowed down field turf project at Waukesha schools
- City of Waukesha debates how to fill top-level jobs