Waukesha parents charged with obstructing investigation into son’s alleged shoplifting
Complaint: Father, 38, allegedly tried to punch investigating officer
Waukesha parents Michael and Rebecca Stier were each charged last week with obstructing an officer, allegedly refusing to wait outside a Pick N Save security room while an officer investigated their son for shoplifting.
Michael Stier, 38, was charged on Sept. 10 with two counts of obstructing an officer, one count of disorderly conduct and one count of misdemeanor bail jumping. Rebecca Stier, 36, was charged with one count of obstructing an officer.
According to the criminal complaint, The Stier’s 15-year-old son was being held on Monday, Sept. 9 at the Pick N’ Save on Sunset Drive on suspicions that he attempted to steal two energy drinks.
A Waukesha police officer was called in to investigate the theft and took the boy to a security office. Michael Stier allegedly walked into the room a few minutes into the officer’s interview “visibly upset” and said: “I want to see the [expletive] tapes.”
The officer asked Michael to leave several times, but the man refused. When the officer tried placing the father under arrest, Michael allegedly threw a punch at him.
The officer was able to handcuff the man, but while doing so Rebecca allegedly entered the office, despite officer commands. She allegedly shouted at the officer, “You’re a [expletive],” before being arrested.
Michael Stier could face more than 2 years in prison and $31,000 in fines if convicted. His wife could face up to nine months in prison and $10,000 in fines.
Both parents were released after posting bail on Sept. 11.
Michael Stier is expected to appear again in court on Sept. 30.
Rebecca Stier is expected to appear again in court again on Oct. 11.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Zombie walk, trick-or-treating this weekend in downtown Waukesha
- Election 2014: State Assembly District 83 Voter's Guide
- Slender Man stabbing suspect's attorney contesting doctor's ruling that Anissa Weier is competent
- Competency evaluation results for Anissa Weier, one of Slender Man stabbing suspects, will be revealed in court
- Waukesha man charged with threatening and sexually assaulting his wife
- Waukesha man accused of raping his disabled ex-girlfriend
- West Virginia man convicted of stalking terminally-ill teenage Waukesha girl
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Flu shots, concealed carry classes and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Oct. 23, 2014 issue
- Want to help the Waukesha Police Department? Here's your chance