Update: Man dies from self-inflicted gunshot wound to head at Waukesha gun range
Shoots himself inside Fletcher Arms
The man who shot himself in the head Tuesday afternoon at a Waukesha gun range has died, Waukesha police confirmed.
Capt. Ron Oremus said Wednesday that the 60-year-old man was practicing at Fletcher Arms' indoor firing range before shooting himself in the head.
"It was an apparent suicide," Oremus said.
The subject was immediately transported via Flight for Life to Froedtert Hospital for emergency medical care for his life-threatening wound, but was pronounced dead shortly after, Oremus said.
Waukesha police responded to Fletcher Arms, 1441 E. Main St. just west of Highway 164, around 3:10 p.m. Tuesday after reports came in that a man suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.
Fletcher Arms remains open to the public.
Fletcher Arms, founded in 1978, is an indoor gun range and shooter supply store. It also offers hunting accessories, gun cleaning and maintenance supplies.
Its website says gun sales and rentals are also available, with a wide inventory of handguns, rifles and shotguns.
The range/shop holds concealed carry classes and was a very popular destination after concealed carry was signed into law in Wisconsin two years ago.
Oremus said no other individuals were involved and no one was by the man when he took his own life.
The man was using a rented gun from the shop, Oremus said.
Oremus added the identity of the victim is not being released.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New downtown apartment complex part of plan to save Waukesha County Museum
- Waukesha police investigating death of man found on sidewalk
- Waukesha police arrest Associated Bank armed robbery suspects
- Waukesha County Board gives staff go-ahead to seek redevelopment proposals on old HHS building
- Waukesha man allegedly involved in shooting incident gets reduced bail
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Home improvement show, pancake fest and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Feb. 26, 2015 issue
- Two masked men rob Associated Bank in Waukesha at gunpoint
- Another wine bar could be coming to downtown Waukesha
- Darrin Malone, final suspect in Waukesha gas station homicide, arrested in Milwaukee