Update: Man dies from self-inflicted gunshot wound to head at Waukesha gun range
Shoots himself inside Fletcher Arms
The man who shot himself in the head Tuesday afternoon at a Waukesha gun range has died, Waukesha police confirmed.
Capt. Ron Oremus said Wednesday that the 60-year-old man was practicing at Fletcher Arms' indoor firing range before shooting himself in the head.
"It was an apparent suicide," Oremus said.
The subject was immediately transported via Flight for Life to Froedtert Hospital for emergency medical care for his life-threatening wound, but was pronounced dead shortly after, Oremus said.
Waukesha police responded to Fletcher Arms, 1441 E. Main St. just west of Highway 164, around 3:10 p.m. Tuesday after reports came in that a man suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.
Fletcher Arms remains open to the public.
Fletcher Arms, founded in 1978, is an indoor gun range and shooter supply store. It also offers hunting accessories, gun cleaning and maintenance supplies.
Its website says gun sales and rentals are also available, with a wide inventory of handguns, rifles and shotguns.
The range/shop holds concealed carry classes and was a very popular destination after concealed carry was signed into law in Wisconsin two years ago.
Oremus said no other individuals were involved and no one was by the man when he took his own life.
The man was using a rented gun from the shop, Oremus said.
Oremus added the identity of the victim is not being released.
- Funeral services: May 26, 2016 issue
- Ex-Waukesha man accused of reckless homicide in heroin overdose death
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Lion King, gallery art and more
- Blair Innovation Flair creates challenges for all to share
- Construction won't stop Waukesha's annual Memorial Day festivities
- Waukesha police report: May 26, 2016 issue
- Greats Lakes panel approves Waukesha water application with conditions
- Q&A with Jody Landish, Waukesha schools' new assistant superintendent
- Construction cuts into major roadways in Waukesha this year
- Man flown to hospital after attempted suicide in Waukesha