Update: Man dies from self-inflicted gunshot wound to head at Waukesha gun range
Shoots himself inside Fletcher Arms
The man who shot himself in the head Tuesday afternoon at a Waukesha gun range has died, Waukesha police confirmed.
Capt. Ron Oremus said Wednesday that the 60-year-old man was practicing at Fletcher Arms' indoor firing range before shooting himself in the head.
"It was an apparent suicide," Oremus said.
The subject was immediately transported via Flight for Life to Froedtert Hospital for emergency medical care for his life-threatening wound, but was pronounced dead shortly after, Oremus said.
Waukesha police responded to Fletcher Arms, 1441 E. Main St. just west of Highway 164, around 3:10 p.m. Tuesday after reports came in that a man suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.
Fletcher Arms remains open to the public.
Fletcher Arms, founded in 1978, is an indoor gun range and shooter supply store. It also offers hunting accessories, gun cleaning and maintenance supplies.
Its website says gun sales and rentals are also available, with a wide inventory of handguns, rifles and shotguns.
The range/shop holds concealed carry classes and was a very popular destination after concealed carry was signed into law in Wisconsin two years ago.
Oremus said no other individuals were involved and no one was by the man when he took his own life.
The man was using a rented gun from the shop, Oremus said.
Oremus added the identity of the victim is not being released.
- Carroll University's new Lowry Hall gets final approval from Waukesha Plan Commission
- Waukesha native's Smart Program Training targets dementia progression
- Now You Know: branch collection
- News in Brief: June 23, 2016 issue
- Funeral services: June 23, 2016 issue
- Waukesha's water diversion application wins unanimous approval
- Plea hearing set for Waukesha man accused of pointing unloaded assault rifle at police
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Kitty shower, wordly talk and more
- Waukesha police report: June 23, 2016 issue
- Waukesha's iconic Gasthaus restaurant to close this weekend (4)