Fletcher Arms, an indoor gun range and shooter supply store, was rocked last week when a man committed suicide inside its store.
Capt. Ron Oremus said a 60-year-old man was practicing at Fletcher Arms' indoor firing range Oct. 1 when he shot himself in the head.
"It was an apparent suicide," Oremus said.
The man was immediately transported via Flight for Life to Froedtert Hospital, but was pronounced dead shortly after, Oremus said.
Waukesha police responded to Fletcher Arms, 1441 E. Main St. just west of Highway 164, around 3:10 p.m. Oct. 1 after reports came in that a man suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.
Oremus said no one else was involved and no one was by the man when he took his own life.
The man was using a rented gun from the shop, said Oremus, who added his identity is not being released.
Fletcher Arms closed briefly after the suicide but reopened that day.
Fletcher Arms, founded in 1978, offers hunting accessories, gun cleaning and maintenance supplies.
Its website says gun sales and rentals are also available, with a wide inventory of handguns, rifles and shotguns.
The range/shop holds concealed carry classes and was a very popular destination after concealed carry was signed into law in Wisconsin two years ago.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Election 2014: State Assembly District 83 Voter's Guide
- Slender Man stabbing suspect's attorney contesting doctor's ruling that Anissa Weier is competent
- Competency evaluation results for Anissa Weier, one of Slender Man stabbing suspects, will be revealed in court
- Waukesha man charged with threatening and sexually assaulting his wife
- Waukesha man accused of raping his disabled ex-girlfriend
- West Virginia man convicted of stalking terminally-ill teenage Waukesha girl
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Flu shots, concealed carry classes and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Oct. 23, 2014 issue
- Want to help the Waukesha Police Department? Here's your chance
- Lifeway Foods moving along with renovations at former Golden Guernsey plant in Waukesha