Fletcher Arms, an indoor gun range and shooter supply store, was rocked last week when a man committed suicide inside its store.
Capt. Ron Oremus said a 60-year-old man was practicing at Fletcher Arms' indoor firing range Oct. 1 when he shot himself in the head.
"It was an apparent suicide," Oremus said.
The man was immediately transported via Flight for Life to Froedtert Hospital, but was pronounced dead shortly after, Oremus said.
Waukesha police responded to Fletcher Arms, 1441 E. Main St. just west of Highway 164, around 3:10 p.m. Oct. 1 after reports came in that a man suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.
Oremus said no one else was involved and no one was by the man when he took his own life.
The man was using a rented gun from the shop, said Oremus, who added his identity is not being released.
Fletcher Arms closed briefly after the suicide but reopened that day.
Fletcher Arms, founded in 1978, offers hunting accessories, gun cleaning and maintenance supplies.
Its website says gun sales and rentals are also available, with a wide inventory of handguns, rifles and shotguns.
The range/shop holds concealed carry classes and was a very popular destination after concealed carry was signed into law in Wisconsin two years ago.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Man rescued from Dunkin' Donuts Dumpster after falling in while looking for wife's dentures
- Waukesha man accused of repeatedly assaulting 12-year-old boy
- Disgraced former Waukesha County sheriff's lieutenant gets jail time, probation
- Former sheriff's lieutenant gets jail time, probation
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Art crawl, awards lunch, health clinics and more
- Enter Halloween contest to win tickets to Legends & Lore
- Waukesha man accused of delivering drugs that caused overdose death
- Waukesha Police Report: Oct. 2, 2014 issue
- Waukesha lists curbside pickup and drop-off center times for leaves
- Spooky, isn't it: Halloween season kicks in Waukesha with Wisconsin Feargrounds