Waukesha North, Greendale again claim state marching band titles
Competition was held Saturday in Whitewater
The dynasties continued their run of excellence at Saturday's Wisconsin School Music Association State Marching Band Championships.
Waukesha North won its seventh straight state title in the Class AAAA grouping (the large-school division), while Greendale captured its ninth straight championship in the Class AA division.
The competition was held at Perkins Stadium on the campus of UW-Whitewater.
North, which won with 90.80 points, was followed by Waukesha West (89.55) and Oak Creek (88.10). This was the same finishing order as 2012 and 2011.
Waukesha West, which won seven titles from 1997 to 2006, has finished the runner-up to North each of the last seven years.
North has competed at a national level over the years and most recently took part last fall in the Bands of America Grand National Championships at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.
Meanwhile, no one was close to beating Greendale. On a 100-point scale, the Panthers scored 88.30 points, well ahead of Antigo (75.75) and New Berlin Eisenhower (74.35).
River Falls won the Class AAA division with 89.60 points, just as it did last year. Fort Atkinson was second with 85.70 points. Other local teams Waukesha South, South Milwaukee, Milton, Wauwatosa East and Cedarburg were well off the pace.
Cumberland High School, also the 2012 champion, won the Class A championship with 81.75 points.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- City of Waukesha recommending sober server ordinance
- Kwik Trip being proposed for city of Waukesha's northwest side
- Waukesha School Board candidates discuss Common Core, teacher compensation
- The Steaming Cup owners looking to sell downtown coffee shop
- Waukesha man charged for allegedly soliciting illegal sexual encounter
- Oconomowoc man allegedly caught in Waukesha store bathroom with heroin
- Waukesha bicycle shop Cyclesmith closes its doors
- Waukesha Community Briefs: 'Dead Man's Cell Phone,' 'Messiah' performance and more
- Waukesha Police Report: March 26, 2015 issue
- Facial tattoo helps Waukesha police bust armed robbery suspect