Waukesha North, Greendale again claim state marching band titles
Competition was held Saturday in Whitewater
The dynasties continued their run of excellence at Saturday's Wisconsin School Music Association State Marching Band Championships.
Waukesha North won its seventh straight state title in the Class AAAA grouping (the large-school division), while Greendale captured its ninth straight championship in the Class AA division.
The competition was held at Perkins Stadium on the campus of UW-Whitewater.
North, which won with 90.80 points, was followed by Waukesha West (89.55) and Oak Creek (88.10). This was the same finishing order as 2012 and 2011.
Waukesha West, which won seven titles from 1997 to 2006, has finished the runner-up to North each of the last seven years.
North has competed at a national level over the years and most recently took part last fall in the Bands of America Grand National Championships at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.
Meanwhile, no one was close to beating Greendale. On a 100-point scale, the Panthers scored 88.30 points, well ahead of Antigo (75.75) and New Berlin Eisenhower (74.35).
River Falls won the Class AAA division with 89.60 points, just as it did last year. Fort Atkinson was second with 85.70 points. Other local teams Waukesha South, South Milwaukee, Milton, Wauwatosa East and Cedarburg were well off the pace.
Cumberland High School, also the 2012 champion, won the Class A championship with 81.75 points.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Power outages cause rush hour backups in Waukesha
- Chilly temps in store for trick-or-treating, haunted houses, football games in Waukesha
- Muskego man charged with sexually assaulting 12-year-old Waukesha girl
- Former Waukesha County Health and Human Services building has new life
- Shared employee health clinic opening next week in Waukesha
- Funeral Services: Oct. 30, 2014
- Student Notes: Oct. 30, 2014
- On the Move: Oct. 30, 2014
- Man robs victim of iPhone near Waukesha's Fox River Trail
- Waukesha woman allegedly abused, insulted her disabled mother