Waukesha North, Greendale again claim state marching band titles
Competition was held Saturday in Whitewater
The dynasties continued their run of excellence at Saturday's Wisconsin School Music Association State Marching Band Championships.
Waukesha North won its seventh straight state title in the Class AAAA grouping (the large-school division), while Greendale captured its ninth straight championship in the Class AA division.
The competition was held at Perkins Stadium on the campus of UW-Whitewater.
North, which won with 90.80 points, was followed by Waukesha West (89.55) and Oak Creek (88.10). This was the same finishing order as 2012 and 2011.
Waukesha West, which won seven titles from 1997 to 2006, has finished the runner-up to North each of the last seven years.
North has competed at a national level over the years and most recently took part last fall in the Bands of America Grand National Championships at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.
Meanwhile, no one was close to beating Greendale. On a 100-point scale, the Panthers scored 88.30 points, well ahead of Antigo (75.75) and New Berlin Eisenhower (74.35).
River Falls won the Class AAA division with 89.60 points, just as it did last year. Fort Atkinson was second with 85.70 points. Other local teams Waukesha South, South Milwaukee, Milton, Wauwatosa East and Cedarburg were well off the pace.
Cumberland High School, also the 2012 champion, won the Class A championship with 81.75 points.
- Carroll University's new Lowry Hall gets final approval from Waukesha Plan Commission
- Waukesha native's Smart Program Training targets dementia progression
- Now You Know: branch collection
- News in Brief: June 23, 2016 issue
- Funeral services: June 23, 2016 issue
- Waukesha's water diversion application wins unanimous approval
- Plea hearing set for Waukesha man accused of pointing unloaded assault rifle at police
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Kitty shower, wordly talk and more
- Waukesha police report: June 23, 2016 issue
- Waukesha's iconic Gasthaus restaurant to close this weekend (4)