Waukesha woman charged with stealing pills from coworker's home
Complaint: woman caught on surveillance stealing painkillers
A 35-year-old Waukesha woman has been accused of allegedly breaking into a coworker's home on several occasions to steal painkillers.
Amanda L. Michell, 1119 Green Valley Drive, was charged on Monday, Oct. 28 in Waukesha County Circuit Court with three counts of burglary, for which she could face up to 35 1/2 years in prison and $75,000 in fines.
According to the criminal complaint, Michell was allegedly caught red-handed in the thefts.
Homeowner Colleen Hamm told police in the complaint that she and her husband had installed surveillance cameras on Oct. 23 after she noticed hydrocodone pills missing from her home at W230 S3827 Milky Way Road.
On Oct. 25, Hamm noticed that 28 hydrocodone pills were missing. She reviewed the surveillance footage and observed Michell enter her second floor bedroom and take the pills, the complaint states. She recognized Michell because they worked together in the same dental office, she explained in the complaint.
On the morning of Oct. 27, she set up a sting to catch Michell in the act, according to the complaint. She left her house with a stuffed jacket in the passenger seat of her car. Her husband, Sandy, hid in the basement.
Sandy apparently caught Michell in their home after his wife had left and Waukesha City Police placed her under arrest, the complaint states. Michell's infant daughter was waiting in the car.
Michell admitted to police in a statement that she entered the residence on Wednesday, Oct. 23 and Friday, Oct. 25 and had stolen pills, the complaint states.
Michell was released on a $2,500 signature bond on the condition that she not use or possess any controlled substances without a valid prescription. She was also ordered to comply with the county's pretrial supervision program.
She is next expected to appear in court on Nov. 18.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha Police Report: Feb. 11, 2016 issue
- Woman, 23, identified in fatal crash in Waukesha (1)
- Woman hit, killed by car at 164 and Sunset
- Carroll University receives $1 million donation for research laboratory off campus
- Water talks flow back into Waukesha
- Waukesha funeral services: Feb. 4, 2016 issue
- Waukesha's robotics team would receive funding boost from Rep. Adam Neylon's proposed bill
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Winter Nights, brain documentary and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Feb. 4, 2016 issue
- Lares Fashion & Western Wear building in downtown Waukesha up for sale