Michigan woman accused of draining Waukesha bank account
Woman, 39, sought on $10,000 warrant
An arrest warrant was issued last week for a 39-year-old Michigan woman accused of draining the bank account of a Waukesha woman.
Carmela Ford was charged on Friday, Nov. 1 in Waukesha County Circuit Court with misappropriating identification information, fraud against a financial institution and wire fraud.
Ford could face up to 22 years in prison and $45,000 in fines if convicted.
According to the criminal complaint, Waukesha City Police were contacted on June 6 by Carolyn Schulz, who said that someone had stolen $21,200 from her savings account. The suspect had apparently emailed Schulz's bank requesting the transfer using her personal email account, the complaint states.
Bank officials told police in the complaint that the money was apparently transferred to a Bank of America account belonging to Carmela C. Ford, a resident of Sterling Heights, Mich.
Police obtained surveillance footage from the bank in question, which showed Ford withdrawing the money belonging to Schulz.
Officers with the Sterling Heights Police Department spoke with Ford, who allegedly admitted to spending all the money.
Ford is being sought on a $10,000 warrant, according to court records.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Blood drive, walk to fight human trafficking, and more
- Waukesha Police Report: May 28, 2015 issue
- Village of Brookfield proposal draws out divergent opinions, pro and con, at hearing
- Waukesha stays on the road to updated construction this summer
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Local author's novel introduction, lantern walk and more
- Waukesha Police Report: May 21, 2015 issue
- Memorial Day recognition includes parade in Waukesha
- One year later, no resolution in Waukesha Slender Man case
- City officials hope new directional signs to downtown assists in revitalization effort
- Waukesha man charged after exposing genitals to gas station clerk