Michigan woman accused of draining Waukesha bank account
Woman, 39, sought on $10,000 warrant
An arrest warrant was issued last week for a 39-year-old Michigan woman accused of draining the bank account of a Waukesha woman.
Carmela Ford was charged on Friday, Nov. 1 in Waukesha County Circuit Court with misappropriating identification information, fraud against a financial institution and wire fraud.
Ford could face up to 22 years in prison and $45,000 in fines if convicted.
According to the criminal complaint, Waukesha City Police were contacted on June 6 by Carolyn Schulz, who said that someone had stolen $21,200 from her savings account. The suspect had apparently emailed Schulz's bank requesting the transfer using her personal email account, the complaint states.
Bank officials told police in the complaint that the money was apparently transferred to a Bank of America account belonging to Carmela C. Ford, a resident of Sterling Heights, Mich.
Police obtained surveillance footage from the bank in question, which showed Ford withdrawing the money belonging to Schulz.
Officers with the Sterling Heights Police Department spoke with Ford, who allegedly admitted to spending all the money.
Ford is being sought on a $10,000 warrant, according to court records.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha Town Chairman John Marek battles car fire in Muskego
- Former Town of Waukesha Supervisor Joe Banske running for District 97 state assembly seat
- Shawn Reilly sworn in as Waukesha's new mayor
- Editorial: Renaming Central as Les Paul Middle School a strum of genius
- Appeals court reverses local ruling on Waukesha man's deportation
- Now a former mayor, Scrima stands by his reform efforts in Waukesha
- Waukesha and Brookfield officers shoot hoops for lieutenant battling cancer
- DNA used to charge John Doe with felony theft in Waukesha and Brookfield
- Police Report: April 17
- Foundation strikes a familiar chord to honor Les Paul in Waukesha school name