Michigan woman accused of draining Waukesha bank account
Woman, 39, sought on $10,000 warrant
An arrest warrant was issued last week for a 39-year-old Michigan woman accused of draining the bank account of a Waukesha woman.
Carmela Ford was charged on Friday, Nov. 1 in Waukesha County Circuit Court with misappropriating identification information, fraud against a financial institution and wire fraud.
Ford could face up to 22 years in prison and $45,000 in fines if convicted.
According to the criminal complaint, Waukesha City Police were contacted on June 6 by Carolyn Schulz, who said that someone had stolen $21,200 from her savings account. The suspect had apparently emailed Schulz's bank requesting the transfer using her personal email account, the complaint states.
Bank officials told police in the complaint that the money was apparently transferred to a Bank of America account belonging to Carmela C. Ford, a resident of Sterling Heights, Mich.
Police obtained surveillance footage from the bank in question, which showed Ford withdrawing the money belonging to Schulz.
Officers with the Sterling Heights Police Department spoke with Ford, who allegedly admitted to spending all the money.
Ford is being sought on a $10,000 warrant, according to court records.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Journal Sentinel editorial: Maybe city and town of Brookfields should become one, rather than the town becoming a village
- Bedroom fire causes significant damage to Waukesha home
- The Spoon restaurant near downtown Waukesha closed 'until further notice'
- Fire damages home at Wexford Court in Waukesha
- Waukesha man sentenced to prison for his role in 2014 shooting on Kensington Drive
- Taco John's donates 10 percent of sales to family of Saeed Sharwani
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Grocery tips, eco-friendly workshops and more
- Mom bails out son, drives him to ex-girlfriend's house for confrontation (1)
- Waukesha Police Report: Jan. 29, 2015 issue
- Mia Famiglia bringing Sicilian cooking to downtown Waukesha