Waukesha - Waukesha County Sheriff's Department second-in-command, Eric Severson, declared his candidacy for Sheriff Monday afternoon.
"I am excited to announce that I am a Republican candidate for the office of Sheriff of Waukesha County. Serving in Waukesha County law enforcement for the past 27 years has been an honor and responsibility that I have taken very seriously," he said in a campaign announcement sent Monday afternoon.
The announcement also listed endorsements from current Sheriff, Dan Trawicki, who announced last week he will not seek reelection in 2015. He also listed endorsements from several area police chiefs and Waukesha County District Attorney Brad Schimel.
"With nearly three decades of law enforcement service, I feel I have prepared myself for this next challenge. I am committed to continue my dedication to the citizens of Waukesha County and look forward to serving as the next Sheriff," Severson wrote.
His announcement comes a few days after Brian Dorow, Dean of Waukesha County Technical College's Department of Criminal Justice, said he's considering running for the position. Dorow has not made an official announcement yet.
Read more about Trawicki's career and retirement announcement here.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Zombie walk, trick-or-treating this weekend in downtown Waukesha
- Election 2014: State Assembly District 83 Voter's Guide
- Slender Man stabbing suspect's attorney contesting doctor's ruling that Anissa Weier is competent
- Competency evaluation results for Anissa Weier, one of Slender Man stabbing suspects, will be revealed in court
- Waukesha man charged with threatening and sexually assaulting his wife
- Waukesha man accused of raping his disabled ex-girlfriend
- West Virginia man convicted of stalking terminally-ill teenage Waukesha girl
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Flu shots, concealed carry classes and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Oct. 23, 2014 issue
- Want to help the Waukesha Police Department? Here's your chance