Waukesha County schools could cancel classes due to the cold once again
Superintendents will hold conference call on Sunday
With extreme wind chills heading to southeastern Wisconsin once again early next week, superintendents will evaluate whether it's too cold for school.
Waukesha Superintendent Todd Gray said Friday that superintendents across Waukesha County will hold a conference call late Sunday afternoon to decide if they will close their schools on Monday.
Gray said they'll discuss their options at that time but they might not have a decision until very early Monday morning.
"Right now Monday's forecast at 6 a.m. to 8 a.m. would not necessarily cause us to close," Gray said. "That could change over the weekend."
Gray said a wind chill warning of minus 35 would close the schools but depending on conditions the districts may even consider closing with slightly less wind chills if there are strong wind gusts.
The Waukesha School District shut down its schools two straight days a couple weeks ago when wind chills were around minus 40.
The district had one weather-day built in its schedule, but the second day it has to make up May 23, a day that had been previously designated as a teacher in-service day.
According to the National Weather Service, Monday's high temperature in Waukesha is expected to be minus 5 with winds around 15 mph. Waukesha's Monday night temperature is expected to have a low around minus 19 with winds at 15 mph.
Tuesday's high is expected to be near minus 3.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha man who pointed rifle at police is charged with six felonies
- Waukesha Community Briefs: pet events, Chinese New Year and more
- Mad Rooster Cafe considers former Hardees site in downtown Waukesha
- Catholic Memorial High School's Innovation Wing opens to rave reviews
- Review: WCT's 'Almost, Maine' gets it more than almost right
- Waukesha gas station murder suspect Darrin Malone heads to trial
- Pizza maker and caterer prep new spaces in downtown Waukesha
- Waukesha Police Report: Feb. 11, 2016 issue
- No arrests or citations issued in fatal crash in Waukesha (1)
- Woman hit, killed by car at 164 and Sunset