Waukesha County schools could cancel classes due to the cold once again
Superintendents will hold conference call on Sunday
With extreme wind chills heading to southeastern Wisconsin once again early next week, superintendents will evaluate whether it's too cold for school.
Waukesha Superintendent Todd Gray said Friday that superintendents across Waukesha County will hold a conference call late Sunday afternoon to decide if they will close their schools on Monday.
Gray said they'll discuss their options at that time but they might not have a decision until very early Monday morning.
"Right now Monday's forecast at 6 a.m. to 8 a.m. would not necessarily cause us to close," Gray said. "That could change over the weekend."
Gray said a wind chill warning of minus 35 would close the schools but depending on conditions the districts may even consider closing with slightly less wind chills if there are strong wind gusts.
The Waukesha School District shut down its schools two straight days a couple weeks ago when wind chills were around minus 40.
The district had one weather-day built in its schedule, but the second day it has to make up May 23, a day that had been previously designated as a teacher in-service day.
According to the National Weather Service, Monday's high temperature in Waukesha is expected to be minus 5 with winds around 15 mph. Waukesha's Monday night temperature is expected to have a low around minus 19 with winds at 15 mph.
Tuesday's high is expected to be near minus 3.
- Carroll University's new Lowry Hall gets final approval from Waukesha Plan Commission
- Waukesha native's Smart Program Training targets dementia progression
- Now You Know: branch collection
- News in Brief: June 23, 2016 issue
- Funeral services: June 23, 2016 issue
- Waukesha's water diversion application wins unanimous approval
- Plea hearing set for Waukesha man accused of pointing unloaded assault rifle at police
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Kitty shower, wordly talk and more
- Waukesha police report: June 23, 2016 issue
- Waukesha's iconic Gasthaus restaurant to close this weekend (4)