President Barack Obama coming to Waukesha business on Thursday
Scrima declined invite by White House staff
Two days after delivering his State of the Union address, President Barack Obama will be in Waukesha.
Obama will speak on the economy at 10 a.m. at General Electric's Waukesha Gas Engines facility, 1101 W. St. Paul Ave.
Waukesha Mayor Jeff Scrima was invited to the event by White House staff but has declined to attend.
"Although I’ve assisted our local businesses in adding a record number of over 700 new family-supporting jobs to Waukesha during the last four years, because the position of mayor ought to be non-partisan, I will be passing on this visit from Washington," Scrima said.
Along with his stop in Waukesha, Obama will visit a few other cities across the country in the days after his State of the Union address.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- The Spoon restaurant near downtown Waukesha closed 'until further notice'
- Fire damages home at Wexford Court in Waukesha
- Waukesha man sentenced to prison for his role in 2014 shooting on Kensington Drive
- Taco John's donates 10 percent of sales to family of Saeed Sharwani
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Grocery tips, eco-friendly workshops and more
- Mom bails out son, drives him to ex-girlfriend's house for confrontation (1)
- Waukesha Police Report: Jan. 29, 2015 issue
- Mia Famiglia bringing Sicilian cooking to downtown Waukesha
- Waukesha apartment plan may get further revisions
- Legal fight over historic Blair House in Waukesha continues