President Barack Obama coming to Waukesha business on Thursday
Scrima declined invite by White House staff
Two days after delivering his State of the Union address, President Barack Obama will be in Waukesha.
Obama will speak on the economy at 10 a.m. at General Electric's Waukesha Gas Engines facility, 1101 W. St. Paul Ave.
Waukesha Mayor Jeff Scrima was invited to the event by White House staff but has declined to attend.
"Although I’ve assisted our local businesses in adding a record number of over 700 new family-supporting jobs to Waukesha during the last four years, because the position of mayor ought to be non-partisan, I will be passing on this visit from Washington," Scrima said.
Along with his stop in Waukesha, Obama will visit a few other cities across the country in the days after his State of the Union address.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha man receives prison sentence for battering pregnant girlfriend
- Wapp Jr. guilty of selling drugs from southwest side Waukesha home last year
- Waukesha man who pointed rifle at police is charged with six felonies
- Waukesha Community Briefs: pet events, Chinese New Year and more
- Mad Rooster Cafe considers former Hardees site in downtown Waukesha
- Video: Catholic Memorial High School's Innovation Wing opens to rave reviews
- Review: Waukesha Civic Theatre's 'Almost, Maine' gets it more than almost right
- Waukesha gas station murder suspect Darrin Malone heads to trial
- Pizza maker and caterer prep new spaces in downtown Waukesha
- Waukesha Police Report: Feb. 11, 2016 issue