President Barack Obama coming to Waukesha business on Thursday
Scrima declined invite by White House staff
Two days after delivering his State of the Union address, President Barack Obama will be in Waukesha.
Obama will speak on the economy at 10 a.m. at General Electric's Waukesha Gas Engines facility, 1101 W. St. Paul Ave.
Waukesha Mayor Jeff Scrima was invited to the event by White House staff but has declined to attend.
"Although I’ve assisted our local businesses in adding a record number of over 700 new family-supporting jobs to Waukesha during the last four years, because the position of mayor ought to be non-partisan, I will be passing on this visit from Washington," Scrima said.
Along with his stop in Waukesha, Obama will visit a few other cities across the country in the days after his State of the Union address.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha pools closing for the season
- Waukesha woman accused of striking children, husband after night of drinking
- It was a twister in Waukesha, after all, National Weather Service says (1)
- Waukesha's La Casa de Esperanza opens its new charter school
- Trial date set in Slender Man case in Waukesha (1)
- Waukesha Community Briefs: HAWS collection drive, Dialogue Initiative and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Aug. 27, 2015 issue
- Waukesha Catholic schools make a welcoming Choice in revised voucher program
- Homeless Waukesha man charged with battering woman (2)
- Waukesha again seeks public's assistance in funding downtown holiday lights