Scrima declines invite on President Obama's visit to Waukesha
Mayor says his position "ought to be non-partisan"
The president of the United States is coming to Waukesha.
President Barack Obama will speak Thursday morning at General Electric's Waukesha Gas Engines manufacturing facility, 1101 W. St. Paul Ave.
Obama's visit comes two days after he delivers his State of the Union address.
According to a news release, he is expected to appear at the local facility around 11:20 a.m. and will be speaking on the economy.
Waukesha Mayor Jeff Scrima was invited to the event by White House staff but has declined to attend.
"Although I've assisted our local businesses in adding a record number of over 700 new family supporting jobs to Waukesha during the last four years, because the position of mayor ought to be nonpartisan, I will be passing on this visit from Washington," Scrima said.
Scrima added he has not attended any Republican-based events during his tenure as mayor. He said this includes when U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan visited Waukesha, including during the lead-up to the 2012 Presidential Election when Ryan was announced as Mitt Romney's vice presidential running mate.
Along with his stop in Waukesha, Obama will visit a few other cities across the country in the days after his State of the Union address.
He will arrive in Milwaukee on Wednesday afternoon and stay overnight.
Details of what Obama will exactly talk about at the facility were vague earlier this week.
But a GE representative expressed gratitude for the president picking their business to visit.
"We're excited," said Arvind Gopalratnam, a GE spokesman. "It's a great spotlight on what we're doing here at GE, not only what we're doing across the United States, but right here in Waukesha. It's a great honor."
The event is closed to the public. Gopalratnam said it will be open to some employees at the facility.
Obama's Air Force One will depart from Milwaukee shortly after his visit Thursday afternoon.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Kicker's Pub & Grub owner flees from man with a gun after closing
- Cuddles shop in downtown Waukesha closing its doors
- Waukesha County Executive Dan Vrakas holding virtual Town Hall meeting on Twitter
- Storms do damage once again in Waukesha
- Driving lesson in Waukesha's Prairie Home Cemetery results in police call
- Ideal weather helps boost Waukesha County Fair attendance
- Waukesha stabbing victim receives military Purple Heart
- Shoppes at Fox River gets final approval from Waukesha Plan Commission
- City of Waukesha will have new system for garbage, recycling pickup in 2015
- Two more Waukesha-area forums focus on District 97 state race