Waukesha teen accused of burglary claims cigarette habit to blame
19-year-old man could face 13 years in prison
A 19-year-old Waukesha man was charged Wednesday, Jan. 15, in Waukesha County Circuit Court with burglary and criminal damage to property, allegedly breaking into his mother's bedroom to steal prescription pills.
Stephean A. Hoya could face up to 13 years in prison and $35,000 in fines if convicted.
According to the criminal complaint, officers from the Waukesha City Police Department were dispatched at about 1 a.m. Monday, Jan. 13, to 122 Frame Ave. for a reported burglary.
Officers met with Hoya's grandfather, who said that his grandson had broken into his mother's bedroom to steal prescription medication, the complaint states.
Hoya denied it, but his sister told police she caught her brother in the act, according to the complaint. She told police that she found the bedroom door ajar and found Hoya standing near their mother's bedside table. Police noted in the complaint that pry marks were found on the door frame.
Hoya claimed he was in the room because he was looking for cigarette butts.
Hoya's mother told police that he had stolen morphine from her in the past, and Hoya admitted he knew her prescription bottles were located on the bedside table, according to the complaint.
Hoya is being held at Waukesha County Jail on a $1,000 cash bond. He was ordered to have no contact with his mother or her residence if he is released on bail.
Hoya pleaded not guilty at a preliminary hearing on Jan. 24.
He is next expected to appear in court on March 3.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha Police Report: Oct. 15, 2015 issue
- Mama D's Coffee opening in former Spoon site near downtown Waukesha
- Erik Helgestad appointed to the Waukesha Common Council
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Robotics class, concealed carry, job fair and more
- Waukesha Reads program continues: Oct. 8-14 events
- Vietnamese restaurant Pho King opens, pizza eatery Bobanna's closes in Waukesha (1)
- Food drive grows bigger in Waukesha's District 12
- Xperience Fitness and Dollar Tree open in old Waukesha Kmart
- West Allis man charged with video taping women's restroom at UW-Waukesha
- Housing development hopes to stay at home in town of Waukesha (1)