Waukesha resident Edgar Montano was sentenced last week to 15 years in prison, having been found guilty last November of causing a 2012 car crash that left a mother dead and her daughter injured.
According to court records, Montano, 29, will also serve 10 years extended supervision following his release from prison. He will be required to maintain absolute sobriety upon release, with the court order being enforced through random urine tests and an ignition interlock device.
Judge Jennifer Dorow handed down Montano’s sentence at a hearing on Thursday, Jan. 30.
According to the criminal complaint, Montano was driving from Milwaukee at about 3:30 a.m. on Saturday, July 21 when he struck a disabled vehicle on Highway 59 near East Broadway. The vehicle, which had apparently run out of gas, was being pushed down the road by Jean Feagles and Nickol Pucine, the complaint states. Pucine was transported to Waukesha Memorial Hospital and treated for injuries to her legs and feet. Feagles was pronounced dead at the hospital as a result of injuries sustained.
Montano fled the scene and abandoned his vehicle on Grand Avenue near Debbie Drive, according to the complaint. Two passengers in the vehicles - Jazmin Medina-Munoz and Angelica Elizalde - told police that Montano had fled in a different vehicle. He was located later that day in Racine, the complaint states.
Montano was convicted after a five-day trial in late November of homicide by negligent operation of a vehicle, hit-and-run (causing death), hit-and-run (causing injury), and homicide by intoxicated use of a vehicle.
Medina-Munoz later told police in the complaint that she had a miscarriage as a result of the crash. However, Montano was not convicted of homicide for causing the unborn child’s death.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- The Spoon restaurant near downtown Waukesha closed 'until further notice'
- Fire damages home at Wexford Court in Waukesha
- Waukesha man sentenced to prison for his role in 2014 shooting on Kensington Drive
- Taco John's donates 10 percent of sales to family of Saeed Sharwani
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Grocery tips, eco-friendly workshops and more
- Mom bails out son, drives him to ex-girlfriend's house for confrontation (1)
- Waukesha Police Report: Jan. 29, 2015 issue
- Mia Famiglia bringing Sicilian cooking to downtown Waukesha
- Waukesha apartment plan may get further revisions
- Legal fight over historic Blair House in Waukesha continues