A 42-year-old Wauwatosa woman has been charged with stealing over $12,500 and dozens of recreational passes from the Waukesha office of the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.
Crystal L. Steiner was charged on Thursday, March 27, in Waukesha County Circuit Court with felony business theft. She could face up to 10 years in prison and $25,000 in fines if convicted.
According to the criminal complaint, a detective with the Wisconsin State Capitol Police met with officials from the DNR on Sept. 7, 2012 to discuss an internal investigation into missing funds.
Susan Rice, a section chief for the department, told the detective in the complaint that Steiner was suspected of stealing money as well as trail passes, park stickers and park passes.
Steiner had been hired in January to work as a senior customer service representative at the DNR’s satellite center, 141 W. Bastow St., Waukesha, the complaint states. She handled sales and was responsible for making daily bank deposits and maintaining financial records for the office.
She had been questioned about the missing money when it was discovered in August 2012. She told supervisors she would look into it, but then quit without notice, according to the complaint.
An audit performed by the department discovered that the office’s financial records were in “total disarray,” the complaint states. Credit card receipts were missing and bank deposits were made irregularly.An inventory audit showed that 77 trail passes, 30 senior passes and 33 resident park passes were missing, altogether valued at $2,665.
A detective spoke with Steiner on May 1, 2013. She told police in the complaint that she would sign bank slips and allow other employees to make deposits, though other employees refuted this.
She refused to answer questions about missing cash and requested an attorney, the complaint states.
Altogether, $12,705 in cash was found to have gone missing between March 2012 and August 2012.
Steiner is expected to make an initial appearance in court on Monday, March 10.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha man who pointed rifle at police is charged with six felonies
- Waukesha Community Briefs: pet events, Chinese New Year and more
- Mad Rooster Cafe considers former Hardees site in downtown Waukesha
- Video: Catholic Memorial High School's Innovation Wing opens to rave reviews
- Review: WCT's 'Almost, Maine' gets it more than almost right
- Waukesha gas station murder suspect Darrin Malone heads to trial
- Pizza maker and caterer prep new spaces in downtown Waukesha
- Waukesha Police Report: Feb. 11, 2016 issue
- No arrests or citations issued in fatal crash in Waukesha (1)
- Woman hit, killed by car at 164 and Sunset