A Waukesha police officer resigned last month after he became the subject of an internal investigation for allegations of sexting with his wife while on duty, department officials said Wednesday.
Chris Massa resigned from the department Feb. 25 and gave his reason as a desire to pursue different endeavors. However, at the time of his resignation, he was under investigation for department rule violations related to personal conduct and photo-video recordings, Chief Russell P. Jack said in a news release.
Massa was accused of sexting — sending sexually oriented text messages or photos from a cellphone — in private areas of the department while he was on the job.
"The evidence that initiated the investigation was brought to our attention and was located on his wife's phone," Jack said. "No other personnel or citizens were involved in our investigation."
Massa opted to resign before being interviewed about the matter, which resulted in the investigation being closed, he said.
The chief added that the department believes it could have substantiated the allegations against Massa and that the investigation would have resulted in discipline up to and including termination.
"I am thoroughly disappointed in Mr. Massa," Jack said. "His actions tarnish the badge we are all proud to wear."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Robotics class, concealed carry, job fair and more
- Waukesha Reads program continues: Oct. 8-14 events
- Vietnamese restaurant Pho King opens, pizza eatery Bobanna's closes in Waukesha (1)
- Food drive grows bigger in Waukesha's District 12
- Xperience Fitness and Dollar Tree open in old Waukesha Kmart
- West Allis man charged with video taping women's restroom at UW-Waukesha
- Housing development hopes to stay at home in town of Waukesha
- Waukesha officials try to plug holes tied to GE move
- Waukesha Police Report: Oct. 8, 2015 issue
- Cafe De Arts plans to relocate within Waukesha in coming months