A lieutenant with the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department resigned last week, but a criminal investigation by state law enforcement continues.
Jennifer Wallschlaeger, a spokewoman for the sheriff's department, said Sarah Massa resigned from the force on Wednesday, March 5.
Wallschlaeger confirmed that the former lieutenant is currently being investigated by the Department of Justice's Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI) for unspecified reasons.
The investigation was referred to the DCI by the Waukesha Police Department. Dennis Angle, deputy chief for the department, said in December that he had received a complaint against Sarah Massa and he chose to refer it to state authorities.
Sarah Massa is married to former City of Waukesha police officer Chris Massa, according to marriage records.
Chris Massa recently resigned from the department after being accused of "sexting" with his wife in private areas of the department while on duty, the release states. Evidence supporting the allegation was found on Sarah Massa's phone, the release claims.
Sexting is the act of sending sexually suggestive texts or images through a wireless device, typically a cell phone.
Waukesha Police Chief Russell Jack said he was "disappointed" in Chris Massa.
"His actions tarnish the badge we are all proud to wear," he said in a statement.
Waukesha County District Attorney Brad Schimel said that the DCI's report on Sarah Massa has been forwarded to his office and it is being reviewed for potential charges. He said for ethical reasons he could not say anything further on the matter.
A spokeswoman for the DOJ said she could not comment on an active investigation, but confirmed charges have been referred to the DA's office.
Sarah Massa has been with the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department since 2001.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha man who pointed rifle at police is charged with six felonies
- Waukesha Community Briefs: pet events, Chinese New Year and more
- Mad Rooster Cafe considers former Hardees site in downtown Waukesha
- Catholic Memorial High School's Innovation Wing opens to rave reviews
- Review: WCT's 'Almost, Maine' gets it more than almost right
- Waukesha gas station murder suspect Darrin Malone heads to trial
- Pizza maker and caterer prep new spaces in downtown Waukesha
- Waukesha Police Report: Feb. 11, 2016 issue
- No arrests or citations issued in fatal crash in Waukesha (1)
- Woman hit, killed by car at 164 and Sunset