Criminal investigation ongoing for Waukesha County Sheriff's Department lieutenant
She is wife of Waukesha police officer who resigned before investigation into "sexting" incident
A lieutenant with the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department resigned two weeks ago, but a criminal investigation by state law enforcement continues.
Jennifer Wallschlaeger, a spokeswoman for the sheriff's department, said Sarah Massa resigned from the force on March 5.
Wallschlaeger confirmed that the former lieutenant is currently being investigated by the Department of Justice's Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI) for unspecified reasons.
The investigation was referred to the DCI by the Waukesha Police Department. Dennis Angle, deputy chief for the department, said in December that he had received a complaint against Sarah Massa and he chose to refer it to state authorities.
Sarah Massa is married to former City of Waukesha police officer Chris Massa, according to marriage records.
Chris Massa recently resigned from the department after being accused of "sexting" with his wife in private areas of the department while on duty, according to a news release sent out by the Waukesha Police Department. Evidence supporting the allegation was found on Sarah Massa's phone, the release claims.
Chris Massa resigned before being interviewed for the investigation and according to the news release his stated reason for resigning was to "pursue different endeavors." The police department's investigation into Chris Massa is now closed.
Sexting is the act of sending sexually suggestive texts or images through a wireless device, typically a cellphone.
Waukesha Police Chief Russell Jack said he was "disappointed" in Chris Massa.
Jack added that based on the information available the department believed it would have been able to substantiate the charges against Chris Massa and the investigation could have resulted in his termination.
Waukesha County District Attorney Brad Schimel said that the DCI's report on Sarah Massa has been forwarded to his office and it is being reviewed for potential charges.
He said for ethical reasons he could not say anything further on the matter. Sarah Massa was with the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department since 2001.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Top five picks for this weekend in Waukesha
- Waukesha County detective Peter Korns charged for domestic-related incident
- 'Suspicious' Halloween decoration turns out to be mannequin in a tree
- Waukesha man accused of repeatedly manufacturing, selling cocaine
- Waukesha man accused of molesting, groping his granddaughter for years
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Apple harvest, lawn care and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Waukesha wants judge to reverse ruling on former fire chief's job
- Waukesha asks public for help to fund new downtown holiday lights
- Second stabbing suspect to be mentally evaluated in Waukesha Slender Man case