New Berlin man sought on charges in Waukesha bar stabbing
Is accused of stabbing Salty Toad bouncer last summer
A 26-year-old New Berlin man has been accused of stabbing a bouncer outside the Salty Toad bar last summer.
Juan Meza, 15939 W. Robin Road, was charged Thursday, March 13, in Waukesha County Circuit Court with negligent handling of a weapon, failing to aid a victim, carrying a concealed weapon and disorderly conduct, all misdemeanors.
Waukesha Police Capt. Ron Oremus said his department sought a felony charge of first-degree reckless injury, but the Waukesha County District Attorney's Office did not file the charge. Assistant District Attorney Lesli Boese, the prosecutor in the case, could not be immediately reached for comment.
Meza is being sought on a $1,000 cash bond after failing to make an initial court appearance Monday, March 24, according to court records.
According to the criminal complaint, Waukesha City Police were dispatched at about midnight Saturday, July 13, to Waukesha Memorial Hospital in regard to a stabbing. The officers spoke to Jordan Stearnes, who said he had been stabbed twice at the Salty Toad, 921 Friedman Drive.
Stearnes, a bouncer at the bar, said he chased two men who fled after a fight.
Stearnes said in the complaint that he caught up to one of the men, later identified as Meza, and grabbed his shoulder. Meza allegedly swung around and stabbed Stearnes with an 8-inch pocket knife.
A witness identified Meza as the attacker, the complaint said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Journal Sentinel editorial: Maybe city and town of Brookfields should become one, rather than the town becoming a village
- Bedroom fire causes significant damage to Waukesha home
- The Spoon restaurant near downtown Waukesha closed 'until further notice'
- Fire damages home at Wexford Court in Waukesha
- Waukesha man sentenced to prison for his role in 2014 shooting on Kensington Drive
- Taco John's donates 10 percent of sales to family of Saeed Sharwani
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Grocery tips, eco-friendly workshops and more
- Mom bails out son, drives him to ex-girlfriend's house for confrontation (1)
- Waukesha Police Report: Jan. 29, 2015 issue
- Mia Famiglia bringing Sicilian cooking to downtown Waukesha