District Attorney Brad Schimel confirmed Monday evening that Rep. Bill Kramer is being investigated by a Waukesha County law enforcement agency for potential criminal behavior.
Schimel said via email that no charges have yet been referred to his office and he would not identify which law enforcement agency is conducting the investigation.
“I am not ethically permitted to make extrajudicial statements about a pending investigation that might compromise the right of an eventual defendant to a fair trial or such as would substantially damage the reputation of persons who are not ultimately charged,” he said.
It could not be immediately determined which department is investigating Kramer.
Jennifer Wallschlaeger of the Waukesha County Sheriff’s Department said she was not aware of any investigation being conducted by her department.
Capt. Ron Oremus of the Waukesha Police Department said his agency was not investigating the former majority leader of the assembly.
Kramer, a lifelong resident of Waukesha, was removed as majority leader earlier this month by Assembly Republicans after accusations that he sexually harassed one woman and inappropriately touched another while in Washington, D.C.
Gov. Scott Walker and others have called on him to resign. He filed paperwork Monday with state election authorities saying he would not be running for re-election.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- 'Suspicious plastic bag' made by child causes heavy police presence at Waukesha State Bank
- Waukesha Police Report: Dec. 25, 2014 issue
- Waukesha woman accused of negligence after child in her care is hospitalized
- Spread Your Wings: Dec. 25
- City of Waukesha seeks grant for trail land acquisition
- Montessori School in Waukesha expanding its campus
- Ambulance fees increasing by 5 percent in the city of Waukesha
- Xperience Fitness, Dollar Tree already committed to old Kmart site
- Waukesha Slender Man stabbing suspects both found competent to proceed
- Site of former Kmart in Waukesha on Sunset Drive will be redeveloped