District Attorney Brad Schimel confirmed Monday evening that Rep. Bill Kramer is being investigated by a Waukesha County law enforcement agency for potential criminal behavior.
Schimel said via email that no charges have yet been referred to his office and he would not identify which law enforcement agency is conducting the investigation.
“I am not ethically permitted to make extrajudicial statements about a pending investigation that might compromise the right of an eventual defendant to a fair trial or such as would substantially damage the reputation of persons who are not ultimately charged,” he said.
It could not be immediately determined which department is investigating Kramer.
Jennifer Wallschlaeger of the Waukesha County Sheriff’s Department said she was not aware of any investigation being conducted by her department.
Capt. Ron Oremus of the Waukesha Police Department said his agency was not investigating the former majority leader of the assembly.
Kramer, a lifelong resident of Waukesha, was removed as majority leader earlier this month by Assembly Republicans after accusations that he sexually harassed one woman and inappropriately touched another while in Washington, D.C.
Gov. Scott Walker and others have called on him to resign. He filed paperwork Monday with state election authorities saying he would not be running for re-election.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha Alderman Roger Patton resigns from common council due to poor health
- OSHA cites Waukesha Iron & Metal with 11 violations tied to fatality
- HAWS' expansion in Waukesha will help address space needs
- Waukesha News Briefs: Sept. 3, 2015
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Master gardening, Alzheimer's walk and more
- Correction: Waukesha County Sheriff's Deputy Chad Kane-Terhorst photo
- Waukesha Police Report: Sept. 3, 2015 issue
- Lifeway Foods now making kefir at former Golden Guernsey plant in Waukesha
- New faces will lead way at many Waukesha schools
- Waukesha County board rejects senior apartment plan for former Moor Mud Baths Resort site